Calculation of variation of entropy knowing state's equation

In summary: No, I didn't find it yet. When the pressure and volume both double up, the temperature has to rise by 4x?Exactly. So intuitively you have to add heat to make system do this. Entropy rises with both an increase in volume and an increase in pressure. All the relations I've found though use specific heat. There are so many things you can calculate but I'm looking for something cut and dried relating entropy to both increase in volume and pressure although you can calculate the relative increase in temperature as you did and try to go from there. So I'm continuing to look and hoping someone who's more current on thermo for ideal gases will see this. another problem I'm running
Tosh5457

Homework Statement

A sample of 1.00 mol of an ideal diatomic gas, initially at pressure P and volume V, expands until it has a pressure of 2P and a volume of 2V. What's the entropy change in the gas on this process?

Homework Equations

2nd Maxwell relation:
7edca29d9b641071f66f0bf13db5aeb8.png

4th Maxwell relation:
4679c4ddd8322c720f4d1d30c44b724b.png

PV = nRT

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\frac{\partial S}{\partial V}= \frac{nR}{V}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{\partial S}{\partial P} = -\frac{nR}{P}[/tex]

I found out S by doing the standard procedure: integrating the first one and deriving in relation to P to find the function in relation to P. The expression for S i found was:

[tex]S=nR(lnV-lnP)[/tex]

But the variation of S is always 0 this way, and that's not the solution...

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you get it yet? Think about what has to happen to double your volume yet double your pressure. Ordinarily when you double your volume what would you expect to happen to the pressure? And if you double the pressure, what would you expect to happen to the volume? So for these to happen together something else has to happen also.

What do both of these changes do to the entropy of the system?

Last edited:
netgypsy said:
Did you get it yet? Think about what has to happen to double your volume yet double your pressure. Ordinarily when you double your volume what would you expect to happen to the pressure? And if you double the pressure, what would you expect to happen to the volume? So for these to happen together something else has to happen also.

What do both of these changes do to the entropy of the system?

No, I didn't find it yet. When the pressure and volume both double up, the temperature has to rise by 4x?

Exactly. So intuitively you have to add heat to make system do this. Entropy rises with both an increase in volume and an increase in pressure. All the relations I've found though use specific heat. There are so many things you can calculate but I'm looking for something cut and dried relating entropy to both increase in volume and pressure although you can calculate the relative increase in temperature as you did and try to go from there. So I'm continuing to look and hoping someone who's more current on thermo for ideal gases will see this. another problem I'm running into is that I took physical chemistry (a year course) as a substitute for thermo (a semester course not nearly as rigorous) so there is a bit of a notation difference also. I'll keep trying and get back to you.

Do you know the correct answer to this question?

FAQ: Calculation of variation of entropy knowing state's equation

What is entropy?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. It is a thermodynamic property that describes the number of possible arrangements of a system's particles. In simpler terms, it is a measure of how much energy is spread out or unavailable for useful work.

How is entropy related to a state's equation?

The state's equation, also known as the fundamental equation of thermodynamics, is a mathematical expression that relates the internal energy, temperature, and entropy of a system. It describes how these properties change as the system undergoes a process. Therefore, the state's equation is used to calculate the change in entropy for a given process.

What factors affect the variation of entropy?

The variation of entropy depends on the temperature, pressure, and volume of the system. It also depends on the type of process being considered, such as isothermal, adiabatic, or isobaric. Additionally, the number of particles and their distribution within the system can also affect the variation of entropy.

Can the variation of entropy be negative?

Yes, the variation of entropy can be negative. This means that the system is becoming more ordered and less random. For example, when a gas is compressed, its particles become more confined and have less freedom to move, leading to a decrease in entropy.

How is the variation of entropy calculated?

The variation of entropy is calculated using the formula ΔS = ∫(dQ/T), where ΔS is the change in entropy, dQ is the heat exchanged during a process, and T is the temperature at which the heat is exchanged. This formula is based on the second law of thermodynamics, which states that the total entropy of a closed system always increases or remains constant.

Back