Calculation trafo chiral multiplet

In summary, the speaker is trying to determine the supersymmetry transformation of the chiral multiplet using the superfield formalism. They are struggling with a specific part of the equation and are seeking help. They eventually solve the problem using the defining equation for the clifford algebra and the symmetry of the indices.
hendriko373
Hello,

I'm trying to deduce the suspersymmetry transformation of the chiral multiplet out of the superfield formalism. In doing this I got stuck with this:

[tex]\theta^{\alpha}\sigma^{\mu}_{\alpha\dot{\alpha}}\overline{\sigma}^{\dot{\alpha}\beta}_{\nu}\theta_\beta(\partial_\mu\psi_\gamma\sigma^{\nu}_{\gamma\dot{\gamma}}\overline{\xi}^{\dot{\gamma}})[/tex]

Here I wrote all the indices explicitly, with the undotted and dotted respectively left and right handed 2D Weyl indices (theta's anti commuting).

What bothers me is the part in front of the paragraphs, I would like to get something like this:

[tex]\theta^{\alpha}\epsilon_{\alpha\beta}\theta^\beta(\partial_\mu\psi_\gamma\sigma^{\mu}_{\gamma\dot{\gamma}}\overline{\xi}^{\dot{\gamma}})[/tex]

Notice that there is the contraction now in the paragraph on space time indices. I think it's not that difficult, one has to use the clifford algebra commutation relation I guess, but I don't see it coming out. Maybe tracing over it would also work. Any help would be appreciated much.

greetz

hendrik

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok I solved it. For those interested, use the defining equation for the clifford algebra and the fact that the antisymmetric part in spacetime indices is symmetric in its weyl indices, such that this term is zero when combined with the antisymmetry of the theta's. This gives a kronecker delta for both weyl and space time indices, giving the desired result.

cheers

Hi Hendrik,

Thank you for sharing your question about the calculation of the supersymmetry transformation of the chiral multiplet. It seems like you are on the right track and just need a little nudge in the right direction. Here are some steps that may help you reach your desired result:

1. Use the Clifford algebra relation to rewrite the part in front of the parentheses as \theta^{\alpha}\sigma_{\alpha\dot{\alpha}}^{\mu}\overline{\sigma}^{\dot{\alpha}\beta}_{\nu}\theta_{\beta} = \theta^{\alpha}\epsilon_{\alpha\beta}\theta^{\beta}\sigma^{\mu}_{\nu}. This follows from the identity \sigma^{\mu\nu}_{\alpha\beta} = \epsilon_{\alpha\beta}\sigma^{\mu\nu} + \epsilon_{\alpha\beta}\epsilon^{\mu\nu}.

2. Substitute this into your original expression to get \theta^{\alpha}\epsilon_{\alpha\beta}\theta^{\beta}(\partial_{\mu}\psi_{\gamma}\sigma^{\mu}_{\gamma\dot{\gamma}}\overline{\xi}^{\dot{\gamma}}).

3. Use the fact that \epsilon_{\alpha\beta}\theta^{\beta} = \theta_{\alpha} to simplify the expression further.

4. Finally, use the property \theta^{\alpha}\theta_{\alpha} = 0 (since theta's are anti-commuting) to get rid of the remaining \theta's and arrive at your desired result.

I hope this helps and good luck with your calculations!

Related to Calculation trafo chiral multiplet

1. What is a calculation trafo chiral multiplet?

A calculation trafo chiral multiplet is a mathematical method used in theoretical physics to study the behavior of a chiral multiplet under a gauge transformation.

2. Why is calculating the transformation of a chiral multiplet important?

Calculating the transformation of a chiral multiplet is important because it helps us understand how this multiplet behaves under certain conditions, such as when a gauge transformation is applied. This can provide insights into the dynamics and properties of the multiplet and its interactions with other particles.

3. What is the role of chiral multiplets in particle physics?

Chiral multiplets play a crucial role in particle physics as they represent the fundamental building blocks of matter. These multiplets contain both left- and right-handed particles, and understanding their behavior is essential for developing theories of particle interactions.

4. How is the transformation of a chiral multiplet calculated?

The transformation of a chiral multiplet is calculated using mathematical tools such as gauge fields and gauge transformations. These tools allow us to describe the behavior of the multiplet under various conditions and can be used to make predictions about its properties.

5. What are some applications of calculation trafo chiral multiplet?

The calculation trafo chiral multiplet has many applications in theoretical physics, including the development of quantum field theories and the study of particle interactions. It also has practical applications in fields such as condensed matter physics, where chiral multiplets can be used to describe the behavior of certain materials.

Back