Calculations associated with a bouncing ball

In summary: To%20use%20LaTeX%20to%20write,In%20some%20cases%2C%20that%27s%20all.In summary, the final project involves designing a lab, collecting data, and writing a lab report on the topic of bouncing balls. The experiment involves using balls of different masses, surfaces, heights, and materials to determine the most influential factor on efficiency. The calculations involved include finding potential energy retained after impact, the joules of the ball at the top of the second bounce, and the velocity when the ball is dropped. To calculate the percent energy lost after one bounce, the formula is (initial energy - energy lost) / initial energy. It
annamae

Homework Statement

For our final project we have to design a lab, take the data, and write a lab report. My lab is bouncing balls of different masses, onto different surfaces, from different heights, and use balls of different materials in order to see what factor influences efficiency the most. I am now onto the calculation section and not sure of what equations would be relevant or if I'm even doing them right.

Homework Equations

PE1 x 100
PEinitial

KE = mg(h0-h1)

KE = ½mv2
mg(h0-h1) = ½mv2

The Attempt at a Solution

1. PE1 x 100
PEinitial

mgh1 x 100
mghinitial

(.18)(9.8)(.68) x 100
(.18)(9.8)(1)

68% - the amount of potential energy retained after impact

2. KE = mg(h0-h1)
KE = (.18)(9.8)(1-.68)
KE = .56448 J

a measurement of the joules that the ball has at the top of the second bounce

3. KE = ½mv2
mg(h0-h1) = ½mv2
(.18)(9.8)(1-.68) = ½(.18)v2
.56448 = .009v2
7.919 m/s = v

a measure of velocity when the ball is dropped

Physics news on Phys.org
Its a bit hard to follow your equations.

If you want to find the energy lost after one bounce it will be:

[tex] \Delta E = mg (h_i - h_f) [/tex]

For the percent energy lost, it is

[tex] \frac{E_i - \Delta E}{E_i} [/tex]

Is this what you were trying to do?

It is unclear what measurements you have made. I am assuming you measured initial height, and final height after one bounce. If so, these calculations would be the correct ones.

Try to learn to use LaTeX. It is quite easy. Here is a link that will help you learn it.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=8997

Related to Calculations associated with a bouncing ball

1. What is the formula for calculating the maximum height of a bouncing ball?

The formula for calculating the maximum height of a bouncing ball is h = (v0^2 * sin^2θ) / 2g, where h is the maximum height, v0 is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of the ball's trajectory, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

2. How do you calculate the time it takes for a ball to reach its maximum height?

The time it takes for a ball to reach its maximum height can be calculated using the formula t = v0 * sinθ / g, where t is the time, v0 is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of the ball's trajectory, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. What is the equation for calculating the velocity of a ball after bouncing?

The equation for calculating the velocity of a ball after bouncing is v = e * v0, where v is the final velocity, e is the coefficient of restitution, and v0 is the initial velocity.

4. How do you determine the number of bounces a ball will make?

The number of bounces a ball will make can be determined using the formula n = log(h0 / hf) / log(e), where n is the number of bounces, h0 is the initial height, hf is the final height, and e is the coefficient of restitution.

5. What factors affect the height and number of bounces of a ball?

The height and number of bounces of a ball can be affected by factors such as the initial velocity, angle of trajectory, coefficient of restitution, air resistance, and surface material of the ball and ground. These factors can be manipulated to control the behavior of a bouncing ball.

Back