Calculator Derivative Error at 11: What's Causing the Drastic Difference?

In summary, Alexi discovered a discrepancy between his calculated derivative using a shortcut and the calculator's nDriv function for the function f(x)=cos^2(tan(x)). The difference was almost 2000 units and only occurred at the point 11. It is likely due to rounding errors and the use of degrees instead of radians.
lpbug
Hi everyone, I've discovered quite a strange function in my textbook. I compared the calculator's calculated derivatives (Math->nDriv) with my calculus derivative and found that the two are almost 2000 units off! Up until now I've been trying to figure out the problem, but to no avail, I cannot find the solution. Here's the function:

f(x)=Cos2(tanx)

using derivative shortcuts, I came up with

f'(x)=-2cos(tanx)sin(tanx)sec2x

as my derivative function

plugging in 11, I came up with -23921.7403... as the derivative at 11

however, when i compare this with the calculator's nDriv answer, it is drastically different:
nDriv(f(x), x, 11)= -342.6

that's difference in the 2000 units... i mean, i compared the rest of the values at various other points and the most off they have been is around .001; only at 11 does this great gap occur.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem is? Any tips and help will be appreciated. If you have a ti-89 or another version of the calculator, please feel free to try it on your calculator and post if you have the same result as me.

Thanks so much,
Alex

Physics news on Phys.org
i assume you mean
[tex] f(x)=cos^2(tan(x)) [/tex]

differentiating
[tex] f'(x)=-2cos(tan(x))sin(tan(x)) \frac{1}{cos^2(x)}[/tex]

2 things to note
cos(11) = 0.00442
which is a small number, as we are close to zero the value of the function will be diverging quite quickly. I would trust the analytic solution...

the other thing to check is whether you are in degrees or radians

that's really weird because I've never seen this happen with any other function, is there an example that you can give where the result will be replicated?

Any time you are dividing by a very small number (cos(11)= 0.0044257), round off error becomes important.

FAQ: Calculator Derivative Error at 11: What's Causing the Drastic Difference?

1. What does the "TI-84 error" message mean?

The "TI-84 error" message on a TI-84 calculator usually indicates that there is a problem with the input or formula entered. It could also mean that there is a problem with the calculator's hardware or software.

2. How can I fix a "TI-84 error"?

The first step to fixing a "TI-84 error" is to carefully review the input or formula that was entered. Make sure it is correct and follows the proper syntax. If the input is correct, try resetting the calculator by removing the batteries and reinserting them after a few minutes. If the error persists, it could be a problem with the calculator itself and it may need to be repaired or replaced.

3. Are there common causes for "TI-84 errors"?

Yes, there are common causes for "TI-84 errors" such as incorrect input or formula, low battery, outdated software, and hardware malfunctions. It is important to double check the input and try resetting the calculator before seeking further assistance.

4. Can I prevent "TI-84 errors" from happening?

While it is not possible to completely prevent "TI-84 errors" from occurring, there are steps you can take to minimize the chances of encountering them. This includes double checking input and keeping the calculator's software and hardware up to date.

5. Is it possible that "TI-84 errors" are caused by user error?

Yes, in some cases "TI-84 errors" can be caused by user error, such as entering incorrect formulas or not following proper syntax. However, it is important to rule out any hardware or software issues before assuming it is solely due to user error.

Back