Calculator that solves differential equation

In summary, the conversation is about finding an online calculator that can solve integral and differential equations. The participants discuss various options such as Wolfram|Alpha and Maxima. They also mention the importance of understanding calculus and not relying blindly on calculators. The conversation ends with a friendly exchange about post counts.
Femme_physics
Gold Member
I've been beating myself for selling my TI-89 2 years ago, it might have been able to do it.

I am looking for an online calculator that can solve integral equations and differential equations. Any such exist?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It certainly needs a better manual.. thanks anyway

I can cheat my way to the answers now, ILS ;)

Whaaat!
But... but... you're not supposed to.

Let's be fair though, doing physics isn't doing calculus...it's figuring out the physics! So...can I? Please?

Maxima is a nice symbolic calculator... and it's free.

Femme_physics said:
Let's be fair though, doing physics isn't doing calculus...it's figuring out the physics! So...can I? Please?

Hummf.
Just try not to rely blindly on it. :-p

TBH, doing physics does consist of a lot of calculus, and such an online calculator won't solve all problems.
Some skill and understanding of calculus is usually helpful.

The calculator is great to verify answers and skip over long dreadful calculations though.

Alright alright :) Thank you. You're the best calculus teacher anyway. Did I mention how awesome it is you've stuck around? You've even more than double my post count now! I remember the days when I was trying to compete with you!

Hmmm..what do I type in for the other part of the equation in my other thread? Tried "integral dv from vo to v" but something doesn't seem right..

Femme_physics said:
Alright alright :) Thank you. You're the best calculus teacher anyway. Did I mention how awesome it is you've stuck around? You've even more than double my post count now! I remember the days when I was trying to compete with you!

Yes, I recall that I was behind you, came a little closer, only to see you jumping ahead again.

Now, I've just gone past 5000! :)
Femme_physics said:
Hmmm..what do I type in for the other part of the equation in my other thread? Tried "integral dv from vo to v" but something doesn't seem right..

Try: "integral dv".

Last edited:
Thanks ILS :)

Yes, I recall that I was behind you, came a little closer, only to see you jumping ahead again.

Now, I've just gone past 5000! :)

Ohh just you wait...just you wait...

Related to Calculator that solves differential equation

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates variables and their derivatives. It describes how a quantity changes over time or in relation to other variables.

2. How does a calculator solve differential equations?

A calculator that solves differential equations uses numerical methods, such as Euler's method or Runge-Kutta methods, to approximate the solution. It breaks down the equation into smaller steps and calculates the value of the dependent variable at each step.

3. Can a calculator solve any type of differential equation?

No, a calculator may not be able to solve all types of differential equations. It depends on the complexity of the equation and the capabilities of the calculator. Some calculators may only solve simple first-order equations, while others may be able to handle higher-order equations or systems of equations.

4. Are there limitations to using a calculator to solve differential equations?

Yes, there are limitations to using a calculator to solve differential equations. Calculators can only provide approximate solutions and may not be able to handle complex equations. It is important to double-check the results and use other methods, such as analytical or numerical techniques, for more accurate solutions.

5. How can I check the accuracy of the solution provided by a calculator?

To check the accuracy of a solution provided by a calculator, you can compare it to an analytical solution or use a different numerical method to solve the same equation. You can also adjust the step size of the calculator to see if it affects the accuracy of the solution.