Calculus 2: Finding Work with Integrals

In summary, the problem is to calculate the work required to lift a spherical tank filled with water up to a height of 1 meter. The water has a varying density, and the amount of water at each height must be taken into account. By using calculus, the work can be calculated by integrating the weight of each layer of water from the bottom of the tank to the top. The density of water is given in cubic meters or cubic feet.
iRaid

Homework Statement

Not sure if this goes here or physics, but this is for my calculus 2 class so I decided here would be best.
2nk0u3d.png

Homework Equations

W=∫Fdx

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the limits of integration are from 0 to 1 since the water is right under the spout, but not sure.

Would the integral be:
[tex]\int_0^1 \pi(3^{2})(62.5x)dx[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
iRaid said:

Homework Statement

Not sure if this goes here or physics, but this is for my calculus 2 class so I decided here would be best.
2nk0u3d.png

Homework Equations

W=∫Fdx

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the limits of integration are from 0 to 1 since the water is right under the spout, but not sure.

Would the integral be:
[tex]\int_0^1 \pi(3^{2})(62.5x)dx[/tex]

You haven't told us which problem you are working, although with the ##\pi## in there, I guess it's the second one. You also haven't told us what ##x## represents. Or where you got the 0 and 1 limits, or how you are analyzing the problem. Show us some steps and how you are setting it up and maybe we can help you.

[Edit] Now I see you indicated problem 22.

As LCKurtz implied, your formula is completely wrong and you don't say how you got it. The work required to lift "j" Newtons of water a distance h meters is jh Joules. The problem here, and the reason you need to use calculus, is that the amount of water varies from "height" to "height".

For simplicity "x" be the height above the center of the spherical tank, so that x varies from -3 to 3 to cover the entire tank. Then [itex]x^2+ y^2+ z^2= 9[/itex] is the equation of the sphere and at a given height, x, the "layer of water" is the circle [itex]y^2+ z^2= 9- x^2[/itex] which has radius [itex]\sqrt{9- x^2}[/itex] and area [itex]\pi(9- x^2)[/itex]. Imagining this "layer" to have thickness dx, its volume is [itex]\pi(9- x^2)dx[/itex] and its weight is [itex]\pi(9- x^2)dx[/itex] times the density of water, [itex]\delta[/itex] (I will explain later why I am NOT using "62.4 pounds per cubic foot) [itex]\delta\pi(9- x^2)dx[/itex].

The distance from x to the top of the tank is [itex]3- x[/itex] so the distance that the "layer" of water has to be lifted is [tex]3- x+ 1= 4- x[/tex]. That means that the work done in lifting that "layer" of water is [itex]\delta\pi (4- x)(9- x^2)dx[/itex].

Integrate that from the bottom of the tank to the top, from x= -3 to x= 3.

(I am puzzled that you are told to "use the fact that water weighs 62 lbs/ft3" when all the lengths are given in meters.)

HallsofIvy said:
(I am puzzled that you are told to "use the fact that water weighs 62 lbs/ft3" when all the lengths are given in meters.)

To be fair, he's only told to use that for exercises 23 and 24, which are not shown but presumably have their linear dimensions given in feet. Presumably the fact that in SI units the density of water is [itex]1,000\,\mathrm{kg}\,\mathrm{m}^{-3}[/itex] was thought too obvious to be worth mentioning.

HallsofIvy said:
As LCKurtz implied, your formula is completely wrong and you don't say how you got it. The work required to lift "j" Newtons of water a distance h meters is jh Joules. The problem here, and the reason you need to use calculus, is that the amount of water varies from "height" to "height".

For simplicity "x" be the height above the center of the spherical tank, so that x varies from -3 to 3 to cover the entire tank. Then [itex]x^2+ y^2+ z^2= 9[/itex] is the equation of the sphere and at a given height, x, the "layer of water" is the circle [itex]y^2+ z^2= 9- x^2[/itex] which has radius [itex]\sqrt{9- x^2}[/itex] and area [itex]\pi(9- x^2)[/itex]. Imagining this "layer" to have thickness dx, its volume is [itex]\pi(9- x^2)dx[/itex] and its weight is [itex]\pi(9- x^2)dx[/itex] times the density of water, [itex]\delta[/itex] (I will explain later why I am NOT using "62.4 pounds per cubic foot) [itex]\delta\pi(9- x^2)dx[/itex].

The distance from x to the top of the tank is [itex]3- x[/itex] so the distance that the "layer" of water has to be lifted is [tex]3- x+ 1= 4- x[/tex]. That means that the work done in lifting that "layer" of water is [itex]\delta\pi (4- x)(9- x^2)dx[/itex].

Integrate that from the bottom of the tank to the top, from x= -3 to x= 3.

I see what you're saying, but are you sure that this is a 3d shape, not a circle? We haven't really dealt with spheres (other than rotating about an axis).

iRaid said:
I see what you're saying, but are you sure that this is a 3d shape, not a circle? We haven't really dealt with spheres (other than rotating about an axis).

It's not a circle. For one thing they've said 'tank'. For another thing they've put suggestive shading in. For another they are giving densities in terms volume, like cubic meters or cubic feet instead of per square meter or square feet.

Dick said:
It's not a circle. For one thing they've said 'tank'. For another thing they've put suggestive shading in. For another they are giving densities in terms volume, like cubic meters or cubic feet instead of per square meter or square feet.

Ok I see what you're saying.

Thanks for the help to everyone.

FAQ: Calculus 2: Finding Work with Integrals

1. What is Calculus 2: Finding Work with Integrals?

Calculus 2 is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of rates of change, accumulation, and optimization using integrals. Finding work with integrals is a specific application of Calculus 2 that involves calculating the work done by a varying force on an object.

2. Why is Calculus 2 important?

Calculus 2 is an essential tool for solving a wide range of problems in physics, engineering, economics, and other fields. It allows us to understand and quantify rates of change, accumulation, and optimization, which are crucial concepts in many real-world situations.

3. What are some real-world applications of Calculus 2: Finding Work with Integrals?

Calculating the work done by a varying force on an object is a common application of Calculus 2. This can be seen in fields such as physics, where it is used to calculate the work done by a force on an object moving in a curved path. It is also used in engineering to analyze the work done by machines and in economics to calculate the cost of production.

4. How do you solve problems involving Calculus 2: Finding Work with Integrals?

To solve problems involving Calculus 2, you first need to understand the problem and identify the relevant variables and functions. Then, you can use integration techniques, such as the fundamental theorem of calculus, to find the total work done. It is also essential to pay attention to the units of measurement and use proper notation when writing your solution.

5. What are some helpful tips for studying Calculus 2: Finding Work with Integrals?

Here are a few tips for studying Calculus 2: Finding Work with Integrals:

• Practice, practice, practice! Calculus 2 is a skill-based subject, and the more you practice, the better you will become at solving problems.
  • Understand the concepts before memorizing formulas. It is crucial to have a solid understanding of the fundamental principles of Calculus 2 before trying to memorize formulas.
  • Use online resources or seek help from a tutor if you are struggling with a concept or problem. Sometimes, a different explanation or approach can make a big difference.
  • Stay organized and take notes. It can be helpful to keep a notebook or digital file of important formulas, concepts, and examples to refer back to when studying or solving problems.