Calculus 2 second derivative of integral

In summary, the problem asks to find the second derivative of a double integral, which can be solved by using the fundamental theorem of calculus. The correct method is to solve the inner integral, then take the derivative of the resulting function with respect to x.
californicate

Homework Statement

Find d2/dx2 0x (1sint√(1+u^4)du)dt

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Initially I treated this problem as the second derivative of a double integral and thus quickly found myself at the result cosx√1+sin4x, by the fundamental theorem of calculus. However I realized that the problem asks for the second derivative according to x, and now I think my solution is incorrect. Would the correct method be to solve the integral √(1+u^4)du, then do the derivatives?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
californicate said:

Homework Statement

Find d2/dx2 0x (1sint√(1+u^4)du)dt

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Initially I treated this problem as the second derivative of a double integral and thus quickly found myself at the result cosx√1+sin4x, by the fundamental theorem of calculus. However I realized that the problem asks for the second derivative according to x, and now I think my solution is incorrect. Would the correct method be to solve the integral √(1+u^4)du, then do the derivatives?

Your solution is correct. If it helps, define
[tex]
f(t) = \int_1^{\sin t} \sqrt{1 + u^4}\,du.
[/tex]
Then
[tex]
\frac{d}{dx} \int_0^x \int_1^{\sin t} \sqrt{1 + u^4}\,du\,dt
= \frac{d}{dx} \int_0^x f(t) \,dt
= f(x)
[/tex]
and
[tex]
\frac{df}{dx} = \frac{d}{dx} \int_1^{\sin x} \sqrt{1 + u^4}\,du
= \cos x \sqrt{1 + \sin^4 x}
[/tex]

Likes 1 person

Related to Calculus 2 second derivative of integral

1. What is the second derivative of an integral?

The second derivative of an integral is the derivative of the first derivative of the integral. It represents the rate of change of the slope of the original function.

2. Why is the second derivative of an integral important?

The second derivative of an integral is important because it can provide information about the concavity and inflection points of a function. It can also help in finding the maximum and minimum values of a function.

3. How do you find the second derivative of an integral?

To find the second derivative of an integral, you can use the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus, which states that the second derivative of an integral is equal to the original function. You can also use the chain rule and integration by parts to find the second derivative.

4. Can the second derivative of an integral be negative?

Yes, the second derivative of an integral can be negative. This indicates that the original function is concave down and has a maximum value at that point.

5. What is the relationship between the second derivative of an integral and its original function?

The second derivative of an integral is directly related to its original function. It represents the rate of change of the slope of the original function and can provide information about its concavity and inflection points.