Calculus 2 Series Question: Prove the inequality

In summary, the conversation discusses using the Maclaurin series for cosx and the Alternating Series Estimation Theorem to prove that the expression \frac{1}{2} - \frac{x^2}{24} < \frac{1-cosx}{x^2} < \frac{1}{2} is true. The conversation also mentions using the Alternating Series Estimation Theorem to find the error in the approximation and proving the inequality 1-\frac{x^2}{2}<\cos(x)<1-\frac{x^2}{2}+\frac{x^4}{24}.
jrcalcuphysic
This was already posted by someone else but an answer wasn't received so I thought I'd repost. Any help is appreciated.

Homework Statement

Use the Maclaurin series for cosx and the Alternating Series Estimation Theorem to show that

[tex] \frac{1}{2} - \frac{x^2}{24} < \frac{1-cosx}{x^2} < \frac{1}{2} [/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]

cosx = 1 - \frac{x^2}{2} + \frac{x^4}{4} - \cdot \cdot \cdot = \sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{x^{2n}(-1)^{n}}{(2n)!}

[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the Alternating Series Estimation Theorem I know the error is less than the next term:

[tex]
|error| < \frac{x^{2n+2}}{(2n + 2)!}
[/tex]

I have no idea how to answer this.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you prove that

[tex]1-\frac{x^2}{2}<\cos(x)<1-\frac{x^2}{2}+\frac{x^4}{24}[/tex]

Related to Calculus 2 Series Question: Prove the inequality

1. What is Calculus 2 Series?

Calculus 2 Series is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of infinite sequences and series. It is an important tool in understanding the behavior of functions and solving real-world problems in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. Why is proving the inequality important in Calculus 2 Series?

Proving the inequality helps to establish the convergence or divergence of a series, which is crucial in determining the behavior and properties of functions. It also allows us to find the exact value of the series, which is often used in practical applications.

3. What is the process for proving an inequality in Calculus 2 Series?

The process for proving an inequality in Calculus 2 Series involves using various techniques such as comparison tests, ratio tests, and integral tests. These methods help to determine the convergence or divergence of a series and establish the inequality.

4. What are some common challenges when proving an inequality in Calculus 2 Series?

Some common challenges when proving an inequality in Calculus 2 Series include determining the appropriate comparison series, finding the correct bounds for the inequality, and dealing with more complex series that may require advanced techniques.

5. How can I improve my skills in proving inequalities in Calculus 2 Series?

To improve your skills in proving inequalities in Calculus 2 Series, it is important to practice and familiarize yourself with different techniques and strategies for solving series problems. You can also seek help from tutors or online resources to gain a better understanding of the concepts and improve your problem-solving abilities.