Calculus 3 help -- Is the gradient of a plane the normal to the plane?

We should say the gradient is normal to the level surfaces of ##f(x,y,z)##. The gradient is a vector field, not a line or surface or solid. We can talk about the gradient at a point, but not of a point.
Mathematicsss

Homework Statement

Is the gradient of a plane, the normal to the plane? If so, why?

Homework Equations

No idea, just a question that popped up in my head

eon of plane: n(x-x1)+n(y-y1)+n(z-z1)

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the partial derivative of each, and got the normal.[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Mathematicsss said:

Homework Statement

Is the gradient of a plane, the normal to the plane? If so, why?

Homework Equations

No idea, just a question that popped up in my head

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the partial derivative of each, and got the normal.[/B]
That is a general property of gradients. The gradient of ##f(x,y,z)=C## is normal to the surface given by that equation.

It's relatively easy to show and I remembering being taught about it in a Calculus 2 class.

Let ##f : \mathbb{R}^3 \longrightarrow \mathbb{R}##, parametrize the corresponding region in ##\mathbb{R}^3## by ##t \in [a,b] \longmapsto (x(t),y(t),z(t)) \equiv r(t)## and consider the cases where ##f(x(t),y(t),z(t))## is a constant ##c## for some ##t = T##. Then ##f(x(T),y(T), z(T)) = c## and the corresponding points are ##r(T)##. Now take the total derivative of ##f(x(t),y(t),z(t))## and evaluate it when ##t = T##:

$$\frac{df(x(t),y(t),z(t)}{dt}|_T = \frac{\partial f}{\partial x}|_{r(T)} \frac{dx}{dt}|_{T} + \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}|_{r(T)} \frac{dy}{dt}|_{T} + \frac{\partial f}{\partial z}|_{r(T)} \frac{dz}{dt}|_{T} = \frac{dc}{dt}|_{T} = 0$$ This is in vector notation ##\nabla f(x,y,z)|_{r(T)} \cdot r'(t)|_{T} = 0##, which shows that grad of ##f## is orthogonal to the tangent vector to any surface ##f(x(t),y(t),z(t)) = c##.

In general these surfaces will not form in ##\mathbb{R}^3## what you probably have in mind as a plane, but special cases could do.

Mathematicsss said:
Minor point, but this is not an equation. An equation has an "equals" symbol (=) between two expressions.

And the coefficients of the plane likely wouldn't all be the same.

If I'm not mistaken, the gradien of an equation is normal to the level of superficies/curves of that function, (that is, a dimension less than the original function), but the gradient of a function is not normal to the function where it comes from, as a gradient will be one dimension smaller than it.
So, the answer is no, but it is normal to the stright lines you can get from that plane (in a lower dimension).

CollinsArg said:
If I'm not mistaken, the gradien of an equation is normal to the level of superficies/curves of that function, (that is, a dimension less than the original function), but the gradient of a function is not normal to the function where it comes from, as a gradient will be one dimension smaller than it.
So, the answer is no, but it is normal to the stright lines you can get from that plane (in a lower dimension).
I'm not sure if you are replying to my post #2, but your point that there is sloppy notation in this thread is well taken. Technically, we shouldn't talk about the gradient of an equation as you did in your first line and as I did in post #2. We should talk about the gradient of a function, for example the gradient of ##f(x,y,z)##. What you get is a vector field normal to the level surfaces given by ##f(x,y,z) = C##. And we shouldn't say the gradient is normal to the function ##f(x,y,z)## either.

Likes CollinsArg

Related to Calculus 3 help -- Is the gradient of a plane the normal to the plane?

What is the gradient of a plane?

The gradient of a plane is a vector that is perpendicular to the plane's surface at any given point. It represents the direction of steepest ascent or descent on the plane's surface.

Is the gradient of a plane always perpendicular to the plane's surface?

Yes, the gradient of a plane is always perpendicular to the plane's surface at any given point. This is because the gradient is calculated by taking the partial derivatives of the plane's equation, which represents the slope of the plane in different directions.

How is the gradient of a plane related to the normal vector?

The gradient of a plane and the normal vector are mathematically equivalent. They both represent the direction that is perpendicular to the plane's surface at a given point. However, the gradient is a vector quantity while the normal vector is a unit vector.

Can the gradient of a plane be used to find the equation of the plane?

Yes, the gradient of a plane can be used to find the equation of the plane. This is because the gradient can be used to find the normal vector, which is one of the key components needed in the equation of a plane.

How is the gradient of a plane calculated?

The gradient of a plane is calculated by taking the partial derivatives of the plane's equation with respect to each variable. This results in a vector with the same number of components as the number of variables in the plane's equation.