Calculus 3 - Vector Projections

In summary, the homework statement says that to find the projection of a vector onto a given coordinate axis, use the formula (B*A)/(A*A).
calcphys92

Homework Statement

In three dimensions, consider the vector V = a1i + a2j +a3k. Determine the projections of V onto the x, y, z axis.

Homework Equations

These are formulas from my textbook related to projection:

All underscores mean subscript.

Proj_A B = (B * A/|A|) A/|A| = ((B * A)/(A * A)) A

B*A = a_1b_1 + a_2b_2 + a_3b_3

Note: The asterisk * in the equation above is the 'dot' used in vector dot products.

PS. Sorry for not using the latex coding to make the equations look nicer. I've used this before and I know how to use the codes but when I submit them the images are broken.

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't think I'm even close but here's what I did:

(B*A / A*A) A = (a_1 / 1) j = a_1i

That's for the x axis. The projection answers for the other axes I get a_2j and a_3k respectively.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi calcphys92! welcome to pf! :wink:
calcphys92 said:
Proj_A B = (B * A/|A|) A/|A| = ((B * A)/(A * A)) A

(B*A / A*A) A = (a_1 / 1) j = a_1i

That's for the x axis. The projection answers for the other axes I get a_2j and a_3k respectively.

yes :smile:

but that definition is a bit complicated, and difficult to remember

it's much easier to say that to find the projection on A, use eA, the unit vector in the A direction …

then ProjAB = (B.eA)eA :wink:

Thanks for the confirmation and advice. Also can you explain to me what the answer actually means? I'm asked "How do you interpret the results?" But I don't exactly know what vector projections actually are. Thanks in advance

calcphys92 said:
I'm asked "How do you interpret the results?"

well, i suppose the projection is the amount of it in that direction

or the three projections are the components that make up the original vector

Related to Calculus 3 - Vector Projections

What is the concept of vector projections in Calculus 3?

The concept of vector projections in Calculus 3 involves finding the component of one vector that lies in the direction of another vector. This is useful for solving problems involving vectors and can also be used to find the distance between a point and a line.

How do you calculate the projection of one vector onto another vector?

The projection of one vector onto another vector can be calculated by taking the dot product of the two vectors and dividing it by the magnitude of the vector being projected onto. This will give the magnitude of the projection vector, which can then be multiplied by the unit vector in the direction of the vector being projected onto to get the projection vector.

What is the difference between scalar and vector projections?

Scalar projection involves finding the component of one vector in the direction of another vector, while vector projection involves finding the actual vector that lies in the direction of another vector. Scalar projection only gives the magnitude of the projection, while vector projection gives both the magnitude and direction of the projection vector.

What are some real-world applications of vector projections?

Vector projections are used in a variety of fields, including physics, engineering, and computer graphics. Some examples of real-world applications include calculating the force of a moving object in a specific direction, determining the direction of a magnetic field, and creating 3D models in computer animation.

How can vector projections be used to find the shortest distance between a point and a line?

Vector projections can be used to find the shortest distance between a point and a line by projecting the vector from the point to the line onto the normal vector of the line. This will give the shortest distance between the point and the line, and the point at which it occurs can be found by using the projection vector to create a right triangle with the line and solving for the missing side using the Pythagorean theorem.