How Does Lifting a Chain Affect Its Gravitational Potential Energy?

• Thread starter Nivlac2425
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary, the problem involves determining the increase in gravitational potential energy of a uniform chain of mass M and length L when the bottom link is raised vertically and hung on a hook. This is done by considering the change in position of the center of mass of the chain. An equation for the upward external force F(y) required to lift the chain slowly as a function of the vertical distance y is needed, and this can be found by drawing a free-body diagram and applying Newton's second law. Finally, the work done on the chain can be found by integrating the force.
Nivlac2425

Homework Statement

A uniform chain of mass M and length L hangs from a hook in the ceiling. The bottom link is now raised vertically and hung on the hook.
a. Determine the increase in gravitational potential energy of the chain by considering the change in position of the center of mass of the chain.
b. Write an equation for the upward external force F(y) required to lift the chain slowly as a function of the vertical distance y.
c. Find the work done on the chain by direct integration of F.

Homework Equations

PE=W
change in PE= PEf-PEi

The Attempt at a Solution

a. I found the change in PE from height L/2 to 3L/4 to be mgL/4
b. I understand that this part entails a mass density change, because the length is shortened while the mass stays constant, but I cannot figure out how to write an equation for the F based on this observation.
c. Integration of the force(answer in b.) will equal the answer in a. because PE=W, but I don't have an equation to work with.

Thanks to everyone who look the time to look at this problem!

Physics news on Phys.org
For b), you're on the wrong track. Density does stay constant because the total length of chain stays constant; you're not significantly stretching or compressing the chain.

Try drawing a free-body diagram on the part of the chain that's being raised--that is, the part between your hand and the lowest part of the U-shaped chain. Then write out Newton's second law, and you'll see what the force is.

I have drawn out the free-body diagram, but it still isn't clicking for me. How do you apply the calculus to this problem? Is mass constantly increasing, requiring more force as the chain is being raised?

Related to How Does Lifting a Chain Affect Its Gravitational Potential Energy?

1. What is Calculus-based energy problem?

Calculus-based energy problem refers to using techniques from calculus, such as integration and differentiation, to solve problems related to energy, such as finding the work done by a force or the rate of change of energy over time.

2. Why is calculus used in energy problems?

Calculus is used in energy problems because it allows us to model and analyze complex systems that involve changes in energy over time. By using calculus, we can find precise solutions to these problems that may not be possible with other mathematical methods.

3. What are some common applications of calculus-based energy problems?

Some common applications of calculus-based energy problems include analyzing the motion of objects under the influence of forces, determining the rate of change of energy in chemical reactions, and finding the optimal path for a particle to reach a certain point in a field of forces.

4. Is calculus-based energy problem only used in physics?

No, calculus-based energy problem is not only used in physics. It can also be applied in other fields such as engineering, chemistry, and economics, where understanding and analyzing energy changes is important.

5. What are some techniques used in solving calculus-based energy problems?

Some techniques used in solving calculus-based energy problems include using derivatives to find the rate of change of energy, using integrals to find the total energy, and applying the laws of conservation of energy to solve for unknown variables.