Calculus derivation with radicals

In summary, the conversation discusses how to solve an equation involving power, product, and quotient rules. The first step is to rewrite the equation, and then options are given for how to handle the variable in the denominator. The suggested solutions are bringing the denominator up and using the quotient rule for derivatives.
JerG90

Homework Statement

godcalc.jpg

Homework Equations

Basic rules- Power, product, and quotient

The Attempt at a Solution

The first step would be to rewrite the equation:

f(x)= x^2/3 + 1/ x^1/2

I'm lost here. I don't know what to do when the variable is in the denominator like that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
JerG90 said:

Homework Statement

godcalc.jpg

Homework Equations

Basic rules- Power, product, and quotient

The Attempt at a Solution

The first step would be to rewrite the equation:

f(x)= x^2/3 + 1/ x^1/2

I'm lost here. I don't know what to do when the variable is in the denominator like that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You can bring the denominator up, and 1/x^(1/2) becomes x^(-1/2)... or you can use the quotient rule for derivatives.

rememeber [tex]x^{\frac{-1}{2}}=\frac{1}{x^{\frac{1}{2}}}[/tex]
also recalll the formula for derivative of [tex]x^{n}[/tex]

Or as you suggested, for your problem with the second part, just use the quotient rule!

FAQ: Calculus derivation with radicals

1. What is the purpose of deriving with radicals in calculus?

The purpose of deriving with radicals in calculus is to find the rate of change of a function that involves radicals. This allows us to better understand the behavior of the function and make predictions about its future values.

2. How do you approach deriving with radicals?

The approach for deriving with radicals is similar to traditional calculus derivatives, except we use rules specific to radicals. This includes using the power rule for radicals and applying the chain rule when necessary.

3. What are some common mistakes when deriving with radicals?

Some common mistakes when deriving with radicals include forgetting to apply the chain rule, not simplifying radicals correctly, and misapplying the power rule for radicals.

4. How do you simplify radicals in a derivative?

To simplify radicals in a derivative, we use the properties of radicals, such as the product and quotient rules. This allows us to rewrite the radical expression in a simpler form before taking the derivative.

5. Can you use the chain rule when the function involves multiple radicals?

Yes, the chain rule can be applied when the function involves multiple radicals. We can break down the function into smaller parts, and then apply the chain rule to each part separately before combining them to find the overall derivative.