(calculus) finding the number of zeros/solutions

• Thread starter mr.tea
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculus
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the number of solutions in the interval [0, 2π] for the equation x+√2cos(x)=k, with a given hint. Various methods are suggested, including using the derivative and the intermediate value theorem, but it is ultimately suggested to make a plot to determine the maximum number of roots for different values of k.
mr.tea
Member warned about posting problem statement as an image

Homework Statement

Determine, for each real value of k, the number of solutions in [0,2pi] of:
x+sqrt(2)cos(x)=k
And there is a hint: pi<4(1+sqrt(2))/3

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to define a function f(x)=x+sqrt(2)cos(x)-k and to find the number of zeros for the derivative that will give me(using Rolle's Theorem) the maximum number of zeros to the function. That really didn't help since I got that there are 2 zeros to the derivative, which mean at most 4 zeros to the function.
I also thought to use intermediate value theorem but it's no useful since k is unknown.

Thank you,
Thomas

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2016-01-05 23:45:19.jpeg
    Screenshot from 2016-01-05 23:45:19.jpeg
    13.7 KB · Views: 385
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
mr.tea said:

Homework Statement

Attached as file

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to define a function f(x)=x+sqrt(2)cos(x)-k and to find the number of zeros for the derivative that will give me(using Rolle's Theorem) the maximum number of zeros to the function. That really didn't help since I got that there are 2 zeros to the derivative, which mean at most 4 zeros to the function.
I also thought to use intermediate value theorem but it's no useful since k is unknown.

Thank you,
Thomas
You should make a plot of x + √2 * cos (x) and see how picking different values of k would determine the max. number of roots on the interval [0, 2π].

Related to (calculus) finding the number of zeros/solutions

1. How do I find the number of zeros/solutions for a polynomial function?

To find the number of zeros/solutions for a polynomial function, you can use the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra, which states that the number of zeros/solutions is equal to the degree of the polynomial. For example, a quadratic function with a degree of 2 will have 2 zeros/solutions.

2. What is the difference between a real and complex zero/solution?

A real zero/solution is a value that makes the polynomial function equal to 0 when plugged in, resulting in a real number. A complex zero/solution, on the other hand, is a value that makes the polynomial function equal to 0 when plugged in, resulting in a complex number.

3. Can a polynomial function have more zeros/solutions than its degree?

No, according to the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra, the number of zeros/solutions of a polynomial function cannot exceed its degree. For example, a cubic function with a degree of 3 can have a maximum of 3 zeros/solutions.

4. How can I determine the multiplicity of a zero/solution?

The multiplicity of a zero/solution is the number of times it appears in the polynomial function. To determine the multiplicity, you can factor the polynomial and see how many times the zero/solution appears as a factor. For example, if a zero/solution appears twice as a factor, its multiplicity is 2.

5. Can a polynomial function have no zeros/solutions?

Yes, a polynomial function can have no zeros/solutions. For example, the function f(x) = 3 does not have any zeros/solutions as it is a constant function with a value of 3 for all values of x.