Calculus - Hard Volume Problem :\

In summary, the conversation is about finding the volume of water in a rectangular pool with dimensions of 10m wide and 25m long. The depth of the water is given by a function that depends on the distance from the shallow end of the pool. The problem is solved by taking a definite integral and then multiplying it by ten to get the total volume of water in the pool. The person asking for help was unsure if they interpreted the question correctly.
calculusisfun

Homework Statement

A pool in the shape of a rectangle is ten (10) m wide and twenty five (25) m long. The depth of the pool water x meters from the shallow part/end of the pool is 1 + (x^2)/175 meters.

Write a definite integral that yields the volume of water in the rectangular pool exactly. And then evaluate this integral.

2. The attempt at a solution

So, to find one section's volume I take the following integral: [PLAIN]http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/5991/calc1.png

So, that gives me one of the 25 foot long section's volumes. Thus, I multiply that integral by ten to yield the following: [PLAIN]http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/1236/calc2.png

I'm not sure if I interpreted the question the right way. Any explanations/help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks fine to me.

Didn't you already ask 2 days ago? It was fine by then, and it remains fine now :smile:

Haha okay thanks. Yeah, sorry micromass, I just wanted to get a little more input as I severely doubted I would have gotten it on my first try. :p

Thanks a bunch guys. :)

Related to Calculus - Hard Volume Problem :\

What is calculus and why is it important?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with rates of change and accumulation. It is important because it provides tools for solving complex problems and understanding the behavior of real-world systems.

What is a hard volume problem in calculus?

A hard volume problem in calculus refers to a problem that involves finding the volume of a three-dimensional shape using advanced techniques and formulas.

How do you approach a hard volume problem in calculus?

The first step in approaching a hard volume problem is to identify the shape and its dimensions. Then, use the appropriate volume formula and calculus techniques such as integration to solve for the volume.

What are some common challenges when solving hard volume problems?

Some common challenges when solving hard volume problems include determining the correct shape, setting up the integral correctly, and properly evaluating the integral.

Can calculus be applied to real-world situations?

Yes, calculus can be applied to real-world situations such as engineering, physics, economics, and biology. It helps to model and analyze real-world systems and make predictions about their behavior.