Calculus Help: Derivatives, Inverse Functions, and Tangent Lines Explained

• Thread starter aizeltine
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculus
In summary, calculus help for derivatives, inverse functions, and tangent lines involves understanding the rate of change of a function, finding the original function from its derivative, and determining the slope of a curve at a specific point. Derivatives are used to calculate the instantaneous rate of change, while inverse functions allow for the reverse calculation. Tangent lines are used to approximate the slope of a curve at a given point, providing a visual representation of the derivative. These concepts are essential in understanding the behavior and transformations of functions in calculus.
aizeltine

Homework Statement

Can you please explain and show the steps of the ff.?
1. Find the derivative of the ff. f(x) = cos^5(2x^6)
2. Suppose f(1) = 2, f '(1) = 3 and f '(2) =4, then f^-1(2)=?

3. Find all points on the curve 2x^3 + 2y^3 -9xy= 0 where you will have a horizontal and vertical tangent lines.

Homework Equations

chain rule, i guess, and then the dx/dy thing if you have a y variable

The Attempt at a Solution

1. f'(x)= -sin(2x^6)* 2 ( but its not one of the choices)
2. I don't know what equation to use!
3. horixontal means slope is 0 and vertical means slope is undefine. I don't know what equation i need to set equal to zero and to undefine

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you show the steps you used to get to question 1? Then we can tell you where you went wrong (because you did)

For 3, it's multivariable, so find points of 0 slope in x and in y - do you know how to implicitly differentiate?

e.bar.goum said:
Can you show the steps you used to get to question 1? Then we can tell you where you went wrong (because you did)

For 3, it's multivariable, so find points of 0 slope in x and in y - do you know how to implicitly differentiate?

I already answered number 1 so, don't worry about that, the only thing that I have problem with is 2 and 3
For number 2, where do I plug in those numbers?
For number 3, here's what I got.
6x^2+6y^2dy/dx - (9y +9x dy/dx)=0
6x^2 + 6y^2dy/dx - 9y -9x dy/dx=0
6y^2dy/dx-9xdy/dx=9y-6x^2
dy/dx= (9y-6x^2)/(6y^2-9x)
And then i set both numerator and denom equal to 0
but I am stuck
so i get 9y-6x^2 =0 then how do i get x?

aizeltine said:
I already answered number 1 so, don't worry about that, the only thing that I have problem with is 2 and 3
For number 2, where do I plug in those numbers?
For number 3, here's what I got.
6x^2+6y^2dy/dx - (9y +9x dy/dx)=0
6x^2 + 6y^2dy/dx - 9y -9x dy/dx=0
6y^2dy/dx-9xdy/dx=9y-6x^2
dy/dx= (9y-6x^2)/(6y^2-9x)
And then i set both numerator and denom equal to 0
but I am stuck
so i get 9y-6x^2 =0 then how do i get x?

Solve 9y-6x^2 =0 for y and substitute it into original equation, 2x^3 + 2y^3 -9xy= 0. And for the second one, f(1)=2 alone should be enough to tell you what f^(-1)(2) is.

e.bar.goum said:

Dick said:
Solve 9y-6x^2 =0 for y and substitute it into original equation, 2x^3 + 2y^3 -9xy= 0. And for the second one, f(1)=2 alone should be enough to tell you what f^(-1)(2) is.

oh ok,,i get numberr 3 now, for number 2 should i take f(1) to the negative 1 power?

aizeltine said:
oh ok,,i get numberr 3 now, for number 2 should i take f(1) to the negative 1 power?

f^(-1) in this case doesn't mean 1/f(x), I don't think. It means the inverse function.

Dick said:
f^(-1) in this case doesn't mean 1/f(x), I don't think. It means the inverse function.

Number 2: I still don't get it?!?I don't know how to inverse f(1)
Number 3: I am stuck
so i got y = 2x^2/3 and I plugged that in into orig eqn and got
2x^3 + 2 (2x^2/3)^3-9x(2x^2/3)=0
2x^3+2(8x^6/27)-18x^3/3=0
2x^3+16x^6/27-6x^3=0
-4x^3+16x^6/27=0
(-108x^3+16x^6)/27=0
-108x^3+16x^6=0
4x^3(-27+4x^3)=0
x=0 and 3rdroot of 27/4
why do i have 2 x's?which one will i use?

aizeltine said:
Number 2: I still don't get it?!?I don't know how to inverse f(1)
Number 3: I am stuck
so i got y = 2x^2/3 and I plugged that in into orig eqn and got
2x^3 + 2 (2x^2/3)^3-9x(2x^2/3)=0
2x^3+2(8x^6/27)-18x^3/3=0
2x^3+16x^6/27-6x^3=0
-4x^3+16x^6/27=0
(-108x^3+16x^6)/27=0
-108x^3+16x^6=0
4x^3(-27+4x^3)=0
x=0 and 3rdroot of 27/4
why do i have 2 x's?which one will i use?

It didn't say there was one point with a horizontal tangent. Maybe there are two. It said find all of them. And for the second one check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inverse_function

Related to Calculus Help: Derivatives, Inverse Functions, and Tangent Lines Explained

1. What is calculus?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of change in a system. It involves the analysis and manipulation of functions, limits, derivatives, and integrals.

2. Why is calculus important?

Calculus is important because it provides a framework for understanding and solving problems in many fields, such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. It also helps in developing critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

3. What are the basic concepts in calculus?

The basic concepts in calculus include limits, derivatives, and integrals. Limits are used to describe the behavior of a function as the input approaches a certain value. Derivatives measure the rate of change of a function. Integrals are used to find the area under a curve or the accumulation of a quantity over an interval.

4. How can I improve my understanding of calculus?

To improve your understanding of calculus, it is important to practice regularly and seek help when needed. You can also try to relate calculus concepts to real-world situations and use visual aids, such as graphs and diagrams, to aid in understanding.

5. What are some common challenges in learning calculus?

Some common challenges in learning calculus include understanding the abstract concepts, mastering the algebraic manipulation involved, and applying the concepts to real-world problems. It is important to approach these challenges with patience and practice to overcome them.