Calculus II: Work Required to Pump Water from Hemispherical Tank

In summary: MJ}(Note: If we had already taken the trouble to plug in our numerical values, we could have simplified our work formula, but I wanted to demostrate how to work the problem in general terms.)In summary, the problem involves calculating the work needed to pump out water from a hemispherical dome with a radius of 10 meters and a depth of 6 meters, until the depth is 2 meters. Using the formula for work, we can determine that the total work required is approximately 298.451 MJ.
MarkFL
Gold Member
MHB
Here is the question:

Hemispherical dome - Calculus II question?

I have a problem that I can't figure out how to set up. I'm really bad at word problems.

1) A hemispherical dome of radius 10 meters is filled with water to a depth of 6 meters. How much work is needed to pump out water through the top of the dome until the depth is 2 meters? (Note: the dome's flat side rests on flat ground.)

An explanation would be really helpful. The set up is the part that I struggle with the most, so if anyone could provide it, that would be helpful.

Thanks!

I have posted a link there to this thread so the OP can view my work.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello Hazue,

I prefer to work problems like this in general terms, and then plug our given data into the resulting formula.

First, let's let:

$R$ = the radius of the hemispherical tank.

$\rho$ = the weight density of the fluid.

$g$ = the acceleration due to gravity.

Now, let's imagine slicing the contents of the tank horizontally into circular sheets. The radius of each sheet will be a function of its distance from the base of the tank. So, let's orient a vertical $y$-axis passing through the axis of symmetry of the tank, with its origin at the base of the tank.

The circular portion of the cross-section of the tank containing our $y$-axis will lie on the circle:

\(\displaystyle x^2+y^2=R^2\)

And so, for any circular sheet, its radius will be the $x$-coordinate of a horizontal line passing through the circle, and so we may state:

\(\displaystyle r^2=R^2-y^2\)

Hence, the volume of an arbitrary sheet can be given by:

\(\displaystyle dV=\pi\left(R^2-y^2 \right)\,dy\)

Next, we want to determine the weight $w$ of this sheet. Using the definition of weight density, we may state:

\(\displaystyle \rho=\frac{w}{dV}\,\therefore\,w=\rho\,dV\)

Next, we observe that the distance $d$ this sheet must be lifted is:

\(\displaystyle d=R-y\)

Thus, using the fact that work is the product of the applied force and the distance through which this force is applied, we find the work done to lift the arbitrary sheet is:

\(\displaystyle dW=wd=\pi\rho(R-y)\left(R^2-y^2 \right)\,dy\)

Distributing, we find:

\(\displaystyle dW=\pi\rho\left(R^3-R^2y-Ry^2+y^3 \right)\,dy\)

Now, if $y_i$ is the initial depth of fluid in the tank, and $y_f$ is the final depth, where $0\le y_f<y_i\le R$, then the total amount of work required to pump out the required amount of fluid is given by:

\(\displaystyle W=\pi\rho\int_{y_f}^{y_i} R^3-R^2y-Ry^2+y^3\,dy\)

Applying the FTOC, there results:

\(\displaystyle W=\pi\rho\left[R^3y-\frac{1}{2}R^2y^2-\frac{1}{3}Ry^3+\frac{1}{4}y^4 \right]_{y_f}^{y_i}=\frac{\pi\rho}{12}\left[12R^3y-6R^2y^2-4Ry^3+3y^4 \right]_{y_f}^{y_i}\)

And so we find:

\(\displaystyle W=\frac{\pi\rho}{12}\left(y_i-y_f \right)\left(12R^3-6R^2\left(y_i-y_f \right)-4R\left(y_i-y_f \right)^2+3\left(y_i-y_f \right)^3 \right)\)

Now, we are given the following data for this particular problem:

\(\displaystyle \rho=\frac{1000\text{ kg}}{\text{m}^3}\cdot9.8\frac{\text{m}}{\text{s}^2}=9800\frac{\text{N}}{\text{m}^3},\,R=10\text{ m},\,y_i=6\text{ m},\,y_f=2\text{ m}\)

Plugging these values into our formula, we obtain:

\(\displaystyle W=\frac{2450\pi}{3}(6-2)\left(12(10)^3-6(10)^2(6-2)-4(10)(6-2)^2+3(6-2)^3 \right)\text{ J}=\frac{89689600\pi}{3}\text{ J}\)

Related to Calculus II: Work Required to Pump Water from Hemispherical Tank

1. What is Calculus II: Work Required to Pump Water from Hemispherical Tank?

Calculus II: Work Required to Pump Water from Hemispherical Tank is a concept that involves using calculus to determine the amount of work required to pump water from a hemispherical tank. This is a common problem in engineering and physics, where it is important to calculate the amount of work needed to move fluids from one place to another.

2. How is Calculus II used in this problem?

In this problem, Calculus II is used to find the volume of the hemispherical tank, as well as the height of the water in the tank at various points. This information is then used to calculate the work required to pump the water out of the tank, using the formula W = ∫F(x)dx.

3. What are the key factors that affect the work required to pump water from a hemispherical tank?

The key factors that affect the work required to pump water from a hemispherical tank are the volume of the tank, the height of the water in the tank, and the force required to pump the water. The height of the water in the tank is particularly important, as it affects the amount of work needed to overcome the force of gravity and move the water to a higher point.

4. How can Calculus II be applied to real-life situations?

Calculus II can be applied to real-life situations in many ways, such as calculating the work required to pump water from a hemispherical tank, determining the optimal shape for a container to minimize material usage, or finding the maximum volume of a container that can be transported on a given vehicle. It is a powerful tool that is used in many fields, including engineering, physics, economics, and even biology.

5. Are there any real-world applications of Calculus II: Work Required to Pump Water from Hemispherical Tank?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of Calculus II: Work Required to Pump Water from Hemispherical Tank. Some examples include designing pumps for irrigation systems, calculating the energy required to pump water to the top of a building, and determining the work needed to pump oil from a well. This concept is also used in industries such as agriculture, oil and gas, and water treatment.

Back