Calculus in the derivation of Euler-Lagrange equation

In summary, the Euler-Lagrange equation involves differentiating S with respect to α, using the chain rule to simplify the terms, and ultimately solving for the integrand when α=0. The notation for Y and Y' may vary, but the concept remains the same.
BearY
In the derivation of Euler-Lagrange equation, when differentiating S with respect to α, there is a step:
$$\frac{\partial f(Y,Y',x)}{\partial\alpha}=\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}\frac{\partial y}{\partial\alpha}+\frac{\partial f}{\partial y'}\frac{\partial y'}{\partial\alpha}$$
Where $$ Y = y(x)+\alphaη(x)$$

My puny math knowledge can't tell me 2 things:
1.why is it ##\frac{\partial y}{\partial\alpha}## instead of ##\frac{\partial Y}{\partial\alpha}##? Isn't the second one equal to η? Why is the first one equal to η? Did I skip something?

2. Where does the plus sign come from? I learned partial derivative before but I cannot recall anything like this. I have a feeling this is the result of forgetting something completely:oops:

Edit: NM the second one I was stupid It's just chain rule :oops:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Wikipedia does a good write-up. They use the letter ## g ## instead of ## Y ##, but comparing the two, you are correct that it should be a capital ## Y ## and ## Y' ## in those terms.

Likes BearY
Charles Link said:
Wikipedia does a good write-up. They use the letter ## g ## instead of ## Y ##, but comparing the two, you are correct that it should be a capital ## Y ## and ## Y' ## in those terms.
That Wikipedia page really helped, thanks. I see that ##\frac{\partial S}{\partial\alpha}## when ##\alpha = 0## is the integrand we are looking for. My book didn't bother explaining that directly.

Likes Charles Link

1. What is the Euler-Lagrange equation?

The Euler-Lagrange equation is a fundamental equation in the field of calculus of variations. It is used to find the function that minimizes or maximizes a certain functional, which is a function of other functions. It is also known as the stationary action principle.

2. How is calculus used in the derivation of the Euler-Lagrange equation?

The derivation of the Euler-Lagrange equation involves using calculus to find the stationary point of a functional. This involves taking the derivative of the functional with respect to the function being varied, setting it equal to zero, and solving for the function.

3. Why is the Euler-Lagrange equation important in physics?

The Euler-Lagrange equation is important in physics because it allows us to find the equations of motion for a system by minimizing the action, which is a measure of the system's energy. This allows us to understand the behavior of complex systems and make predictions about their future behavior.

4. Can the Euler-Lagrange equation be applied to any functional?

Yes, the Euler-Lagrange equation can be applied to any functional that depends on a single function. It is a general principle that can be used in various fields such as physics, economics, and engineering.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Euler-Lagrange equation?

While the Euler-Lagrange equation is a powerful tool, it does have some limitations. It can only be used for functions that are continuous and have continuous derivatives. It also assumes that the functional has a unique minimum or maximum, which may not always be the case in real-world situations.