Calculus : int(cot^3x)dx but why

• Thread starter kubigiri
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculus
So in summary, the integration of ∫cot^3(x) dx is equal to - (1/2)cot^2(x) + C = - (1/2)csc^2(x) + C, where C is a constant of integration.
kubigiri
Member informed about compulsory use of homework template.
∫cot^3(x) dx

= ∫cot^2(x) cot (x) dx

= ∫(csc^2(x) - 1) cot (x) dx

= ∫ csc^2(x)) cot (x) dx - ∫cot (x) dx

= ∫- cot (x) d (cot x) - ln I sin x I

= - (1/2)cot^2(x) - ln I sin x I + C
but
if∫cot^3(x) dx

= ∫cot^2(x) cot (x) dx

= ∫(csc^2(x) - 1) cot (x) dx

= ∫ csc^2(x)) cot (x) dx - ∫cot (x) dx

= ∫- csc (x) d (csc x) - ln I sin x I

= - (1/2)csc^2(x) - ln I sin x I + CSo
= - (1/2)cot^2(x) + C = = - (1/2)csc^2(x) + C
csc = cot
but
csc^2 = cot^2 +1

i'm not sure but maybe "1" will add in C ? Please help me

Physics news on Phys.org
In general, there is no guarantee that you will get the same integration constant so the 1 can be absorbed into the corresponding constant.

The check should be to differentiate the result to make sure you get the integrand back.

FAQ: Calculus : int(cot^3x)dx but why

1. What is the purpose of finding the integral of cot^3x?

The purpose of finding the integral of cot^3x is to evaluate the area under the curve of the function cot^3x with respect to the variable x. This is an important concept in calculus as it allows us to solve problems involving rates of change and area.

2. How is the integral of cot^3x solved?

The integral of cot^3x is solved using integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric identities. These techniques help to manipulate the function and find an equivalent function that is easier to integrate.

3. Why is the integral of cot^3x important?

The integral of cot^3x is important because it is a fundamental concept in calculus that is used to solve various problems in mathematics, physics, engineering, and other fields. It also helps to understand the relationship between a function and its derivative.

4. Can the integral of cot^3x be evaluated exactly?

No, the integral of cot^3x cannot be evaluated exactly. It can only be evaluated numerically or approximated using numerical methods. This is because the antiderivative of cot^3x does not have a closed form expression.

5. How is the integral of cot^3x used in real-life applications?

The integral of cot^3x is used in real-life applications to solve problems involving rates of change and area. For example, it can be used to calculate the work done by a force, the volume of a three-dimensional object, or the speed of an object with changing velocity.