Calculus involving cubic discriminants

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of cubic discriminants in finding the tangent lines to a given curve. The poster on Yahoo Answers uses a different method than the original poster, but still gets the correct answer. They also discuss the simplification of an equation involving the discriminants to find the tangent points.
Dethrone
My question is on this site:
https://ca.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070217181026AAe29O6

There are two methods to do it, and I do not understand the first one in which the person uses cubic discriminants.

A cubic function is $ax^3+bx^2+cx+d=0$, and the function we are trying to find the cubic discriminants of is $4x^3-4x-(1+m)=0$. Therefore, $a=4$, $b=0$, $c=-4$, and $d=-(1+m)$. The poster on yahoo answers switches the roles of $b$ and $c$; how come he gets the correct answer whereas I didn't?

The cubic discriminant is given by:
$$\Delta=b^2c^2-4ac^3-4b^3d-27a^2d^2+18abcd$$

Physics news on Phys.org
Let's take a look at the tangent lines to the given curve using our Desmos API:

[desmos="-3,3,-3,3"]y=x^4-2x^2-x;y=\left(4a^3-4a-1\right)(x-a)+a^4-2a^2-a;a=1[/desmos]

From this it would appear that for $a=\pm1$, we have the same tangent line.

Now, let's look at this analytically...the curve is:

\(\displaystyle y=x^4-2x^2-x\)

The tangent line is:

\(\displaystyle y=\left(4a^3-4a-1\right)(x-a)+a^4-2a^2-a\)

or in slope-intercept form:

\(\displaystyle y=\left(4a^3-4a-1\right)x-3a^4+2a^2\)

Let's let the two $x$-values of the tangent points be $a$ and $b$, where $a\ne b$. Since the slope of the two lines must be the same, we find:

\(\displaystyle 4a^3-4a-1=4b^3-4b-1\)

This reduces to:

\(\displaystyle a^2+ab+b^2-1=0\)

Also, since the two intercepts must also be the same, we require:

\(\displaystyle -3a^4+2a^2=-3b^4+2b^2\)

And this reduces to:

\(\displaystyle (a+b)\left(3\left(a^2+b^2\right)-2\right)=0\)

Only the root $b=-a$ leads to distinct values, and so we find:

\(\displaystyle a^2+a(-a)+(-a)^2-1=0\)

\(\displaystyle a=\pm1\)

And thus the line:

\(\displaystyle y=-x-1\)

is the online line tangent to the given quartic at two distinct points. And the two points are:

\(\displaystyle (-1,0),\,(1,-2)\)

I know I didn't answer your actual question, but I thought I would share how I would work the problem.

Hi Mark (Poolparty),

How does $\displaystyle -3a^4+2a^2=-3b^4+2b^2$ simplify to $\displaystyle (a+b)\left(3\left(a^2+b^2\right)-2\right)=0$ :confused:

Rido12 said:
Hi Mark (Poolparty),

How does $\displaystyle -3a^4+2a^2=-3b^4+2b^2$ simplify to $\displaystyle (a+b)\left(3\left(a^2+b^2\right)-2\right)=0$ :confused:

Let's arrange it as:

\(\displaystyle 3a^4-3b^4-2a^2+2b^2=0\)

Factor:

\(\displaystyle 3\left(a^4-b^2\right)-2\left(a^2-b^2\right)=0\)

\(\displaystyle 3\left(a^2+b^2\right)\left(a^2-b^2\right)-2\left(a^2-b^2\right)=0\)

\(\displaystyle \left(a^2-b^2\right)\left(3\left(a^2+b^2\right)-2\right)=0\)

\(\displaystyle (a+b)(a-b)\left(3\left(a^2+b^2\right)-2\right)=0\)

Since $a\ne b$, we may divide through by $a-b$:

\(\displaystyle (a+b)\left(3\left(a^2+b^2\right)-2\right)=0\)

FAQ: Calculus involving cubic discriminants

1. What is a cubic discriminant?

A cubic discriminant is a mathematical concept used in calculus to determine the nature of the roots of a cubic equation. It is a value that can be calculated using the coefficients of the cubic equation and can help determine whether the equation has real or imaginary roots.

2. How is a cubic discriminant calculated?

To calculate the cubic discriminant of an equation in the form of ax³+bx²+cx+d=0, the formula is: Δ = b²c²-4ac³-4b³d-27a²d²+18abcd. This formula is derived from the quadratic formula and can be used to determine the nature of the roots of a cubic equation.

3. What does a positive cubic discriminant indicate?

A positive cubic discriminant indicates that the equation has three distinct real roots. This means that the equation can be factored into three linear factors, each representing a real root of the equation.

4. What does a negative cubic discriminant indicate?

A negative cubic discriminant indicates that the equation has one real root and two complex roots. This means that the equation cannot be factored into linear factors, and the real root can be found using the cubic formula.

5. Can a cubic equation have a zero cubic discriminant?

Yes, a cubic equation can have a zero cubic discriminant. This indicates that the equation has a repeated real root, also known as a multiple root. In this case, the equation can be factored into a linear factor and a quadratic factor with a double root.