Calculus (Larson, et al) 9th ed: p. 169 #29: No match to answer key.

In summary, the author is discussing the homework statement and equations for the 9th edition of Calculus. The author attempts to solve the problem, but is unsuccessful because the answer key lists incorrect abs max and abs min. Finally, Aaron discusses how inspection of the graph is easier for this problem and points out that the derivative is zero for all x greater than 3.
abclemons
"Calculus" (Larson, et al) 9th ed: p. 169 #29: No match to answer key.

Homework Statement

Locate the abs extrema on the interval of the function:
y=t-|t-3| for interval [-1,5]

Homework Equations

|x|=[tex]\sqrt{x^{2}}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought this would essentially be a subtraction rule and chain rule...

y'=1-((1/(2|t-3|))*2(t-3)*1)
y'=1-((t-3)/(|t-3|))
y'=(|t-3|-t+3)/|t-3|

Critical # at y=3

t(-1)=-5
t(3)=3
t(5)=3

abs maxima at (5,3) and (3,3)
abs minimum at (-1,-5)

Unfortunately, the answer key lists abs max (3,3) and abs min (-1,-1). I don't even get the (-1,-1) since t(-1) is -5...
If anyone has any guidance, please feel free to let it flow!

Physics news on Phys.org

abclemons said:

Homework Statement

Locate the abs extrema on the interval of the function:
y=t-|t-3| for interval [-1,5]

Homework Equations

|x|=[tex]\sqrt{x^{2}}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought this would essentially be a subtraction rule and chain rule...

y'=1-((1/(2|t-3|))*2(t-3)*1)
y'=1-((t-3)/(|t-3|))
y'=(|t-3|-t+3)/|t-3|

Critical # at y=3

t(-1)=-5
t(3)=3
t(5)=3

abs maxima at (5,3) and (3,3)
abs minimum at (-1,-5)

Unfortunately, the answer key lists abs max (3,3) and abs min (-1,-1). I don't even get the (-1,-1) since t(-1) is -5...
If anyone has any guidance, please feel free to let it flow!
It's much easier not to differentiate for this problem. On [-1, 3] the graph is a straight line with slope 2 and y-intercept -3. On [3, 5], the graph is horizontal.

I agree with you that the answer key is wrong. y(-1) = -5, not -1.

typo? perhaps they want (1,-1) which is indeed a smaller abs(1-abs(1-3))=1 than abs(-1-abs(-1-3))=5 (edit: let me plot this to see...)

edit: okay after plotting we have a line with positive slope 2, and a horizontal line intesecting at (3,3).

so the critical points must be: (-1,-5), (3,3), (5,3) but in absolute value the first is the max and the second two are the min...sigh...

Last edited:

@Mark44:
I agree that inspection of the graph is easier for this problem, but my professor likes for us to show critical numbers.

@xaos:
Once you pointed out the evaluation at 1 (rather than -1), a typo seems to be the most logical conclusion.Respectfully to all,

Aaron

abclemons said:
@Mark44:
I agree that inspection of the graph is easier for this problem, but my professor likes for us to show critical numbers.
Then show critical numbers- inspection of the graph shows that the derivative is 0 for all x greater than 3 and that the derivative does not exist at x= 3.

@xaos:
Once you pointed out the evaluation at 1 (rather than -1), a typo seems to be the most logical conclusion.

Respectfully to all,

Aaron

HallsofIvy said:
Then show critical numbers- inspection of the graph shows that the derivative is 0 for all x greater than 3 and that the derivative does not exist at x= 3.

I appreciate the input. I have set about working out analytical that for all real t>3 y'=0.

Respectfully,

Aaron

FAQ: Calculus (Larson, et al) 9th ed: p. 169 #29: No match to answer key.

1. What is Calculus?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of change and motion. It is used to analyze and model continuous change, such as the motion of objects, and is essential in the fields of physics, engineering, economics, and more.

2. What is the 9th edition of Larson's Calculus?

The 9th edition of Larson's Calculus is a widely used textbook that covers the fundamental concepts and applications of Calculus. It is written by authors Ron Larson, Bruce H. Edwards, and others and is used in many universities and colleges.

3. What is the problem on page 169 #29?

The problem on page 169 #29 is a practice exercise in the textbook that asks students to find the derivative of a given function using the Power Rule, Product Rule, and Quotient Rule.

4. Why is there no match to the answer key for this problem?

There may be no match to the answer key for this problem because there could be a typo or error in the solution provided in the answer key. It is also possible that the student made a mistake during their calculations or used a different approach to solving the problem.

5. How can I check the correctness of my answer if it does not match the answer key?

If your answer does not match the answer key, you can check the correctness of your solution by double-checking your calculations and making sure you followed the correct steps and rules for finding the derivative. You can also ask your instructor for clarification or seek help from a tutor or classmate.