Calculus: Maximum point for revenue function

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a company's pricing for transistor sets. The revenue function for this problem is formulated as a piecewise defined function, with a linear portion and a parabolic portion. The maximum revenue is found to be $24,000 when the company allows an order of 80 sets.
Doffy
Hello (Smile). I have been stuck on this question for a while.

A company charges $550 for a transistor set on orders of 50 or less sets. The charge is reduced by $5 per set for each order in excess of 50 sets. Find the largest size order company should allow so as to receive a maximum revenue.

I have tried to formulate the revenue function as: R(x) = (550 -5x) x, for x > 50.
Am I right? The answer mentioned in book is 80 sets.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Your revenue function isn't right...we are only subtracting \$5 per set in excess of 50 ordered, hence:

\(\displaystyle R(x)=x(550-(x-50)5)\)

So, simplify and factor, and then you know that the vertex will lie on the axis of symmetry which will be midway between the two roots.

Ok, I understand now. Thanks for helping.

Doffy said:
Ok, I understand now. Thanks for helping.

What we should actually write for the revenue function is a piecewise defined function:

\(\displaystyle R(n)=\begin{cases}550n, & 0<n<51 \\[3pt] 5n(160-n), & 50<n \\ \end{cases}\)

I used $n$ rather than $x$ to indicate that the independent variable is discrete rather than continuous. Then we may plot this function:

View attachment 5104

We see that the linear portion of the function increases at a constant rate (given by the slope of the line), and then we should observe that the parabolic portion of the function opens downward (since the coefficient of the squared term is negative) and so its maximum will be at the vertex, which lies on the axis of symmetry, which will be midway between the roots, at $n=0$ and $n=160$, which is:

\(\displaystyle n=\frac{0+160}{2}=80\)

Since this value is to the right of where the linear and parabolic portions "meet," we may conclude:

\(\displaystyle R_{\max}=R(80)\)

Attachments

• piecewise_revenue.png
    piecewise_revenue.png
    7 KB · Views: 54

Related to Calculus: Maximum point for revenue function

What is Calculus?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of change and the properties of continuous functions. It has two main branches: Differential Calculus, which focuses on the rate of change of a function, and Integral Calculus, which deals with the accumulation of quantities.

What does "maximum point for revenue function" mean?

A maximum point for a revenue function refers to the point at which the revenue function reaches its highest value. In other words, it is the point where the function has the greatest revenue. This is important in business and economics, as it helps determine the most profitable output level for a product or service.

How is the maximum point for a revenue function calculated?

The maximum point for a revenue function can be calculated using the techniques of Differential Calculus. The first derivative of the revenue function is set to zero and solved for the input variable. This value corresponds to the maximum point for the revenue function.

Why is the maximum point for a revenue function important?

The maximum point for a revenue function is important because it helps businesses and economists make informed decisions about production levels and pricing strategies. It also allows them to identify the point at which the revenue function starts to decrease, which can indicate the need for cost-cutting measures.

Are there any limitations to using the maximum point for a revenue function?

Yes, there are some limitations to using the maximum point for a revenue function. For instance, it assumes that the demand and cost functions are continuous and differentiable, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios. Additionally, it does not take into account external factors such as competition or market trends, which can also impact revenue.