Calculus of variations problem and differential equation initial conditions

In summary, the conversation is discussing solving a calculus of variations problem by making the integral stationary. The person knows the Euler-Lagrange differential equation but is unsure how to interpret the limits of integration as initial conditions. They also ask about using Laplace transforms to solve differential equations with known initial conditions. The answer is to swap the initial condition for y' and solve using Laplace transforms, replacing the constant with the other initial condition. For the first question, the suggestion is to solve the equation with arbitrary constants, plug it back into the integral, and minimize the results.
catpants
Calculus of variations problem. I want to make stationary the integral of (1+yy')^2 dx from 0 to 1. I know what the Euler-Lagrange differential equation turns out to be, but how do I interpret the limits of integration as initial conditions for the diff eq?

also, can i use laplace transforms to solve differential equations if I know a few initial conditions for y, but no initial conditions for y'?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, I will answer the second question first and then suggestions for the first.

The answer to this one is take a dufferential equation which you know the solution of and swap the intial condition for y' for something else and take laplace transforms of your equation and leave a general function (or possibly constant) in it's place and then go through as normal and see if you can't find out the constant using the other condition you have. I solve Lapalces's equation this way and it worked perfectly fine.

For the first question, can you solve te equation you get with some arbitrary constants in? If so plug this back into the integral, do the integral and then minimise the results in the usual way.

Related to Calculus of variations problem and differential equation initial conditions

1. What is the calculus of variations problem?

The calculus of variations problem is a branch of mathematics that deals with finding the optimal path or function that minimizes or maximizes a given functional. It involves finding the extrema of a functional, which is a mathematical expression that maps a set of functions to real numbers. This problem has various applications in physics, engineering, and economics.

2. How is the calculus of variations problem related to differential equations?

The calculus of variations problem is closely related to differential equations because it involves finding the function that satisfies a given differential equation while optimizing a functional. This means that the optimal function must not only satisfy the differential equation but also minimize or maximize the functional.

3. What are the typical initial conditions for a differential equation in the calculus of variations problem?

The initial conditions for a differential equation in the calculus of variations problem are usually specified in terms of the values of the function and its derivatives at a specific point. These initial conditions are necessary to determine a unique solution to the differential equation and to solve the calculus of variations problem.

4. How is the Euler-Lagrange equation used in the calculus of variations problem?

The Euler-Lagrange equation is a necessary condition for finding the extrema of a functional in the calculus of variations problem. It is a differential equation that must be satisfied by the optimal function. The solution to this equation gives the optimal function that minimizes or maximizes the functional.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the calculus of variations problem and differential equations?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of the calculus of variations problem and differential equations. Some examples include finding the optimal path for a spacecraft to reach its destination, determining the shape of a bridge that can withstand certain forces, and optimizing the design of an airplane wing for maximum lift. These applications demonstrate the practical use of the calculus of variations problem and its relevance in various fields of science and engineering.