Calculus of variations with circular boundary conditions

In summary, the Euler-Lagrange equations give necessary conditions for an action to be extremal, assuming fixed endpoints for the function to be varied over. These conditions can be extended to cases where one or both endpoints are free to vary by introducing additional transversality conditions. In the case where the values at the two boundaries are equal but otherwise free to vary, the transversality condition would be that the perturbation \eta is periodic with period a. This holds because if the original function y, its derivative y', and the perturbation \eta are all periodic with period a, then the boundary term in the Euler-Lagrange equation vanishes. However, this assumption of periodicity may not hold in cases where the lagrangian
madness
The Euler-Lagrange equations give a necessary condition for the action be extremal given some lagrangian which depends on some function to be varied over. The basic form assumes fixed endpoints for the function to be varied over, but we can extend to cases in which one or both endpoints are free to vary by introducing additional transversality conditions. I would like to know what the transversality condition(s) would be in the case that the values at the two boundaries are equal, but otherwise free to vary. The reason for this is that I want to consider functions which map the circle onto the real numbers, and use the calculus of variations approach to maximise an action based on a lagrangian of this function.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
If you have [tex]
I[y] = \int_0^a F(y,y')\,dx[/tex] then [tex]
I[y + \eta] - I[y] = \int_0^a \eta \left(\frac{\partial F}{\partial y} - \frac{d}{dx}\left(\frac{\partial F}{\partial y'}\right)\right)\,dx + \left[ \eta \frac{\partial F}{\partial y'} \right]_0^a.[/tex] Now if [itex]y[/itex], [itex]y'[/itex] and the perturbation [itex]\eta[/itex] are all periodic with period [itex]a[/itex] then so is [itex]\eta \frac{\partial F}{\partial y'}[/itex], and the boundary term vanishes.

pasmith said:
If you have [tex]
I[y] = \int_0^a F(y,y')\,dx[/tex] then [tex]
I[y + \eta] - I[y] = \int_0^a \eta \left(\frac{\partial F}{\partial y} - \frac{d}{dx}\left(\frac{\partial F}{\partial y'}\right)\right)\,dx + \left[ \eta \frac{\partial F}{\partial y'} \right]_0^a.[/tex] Now if [itex]y[/itex], [itex]y'[/itex] and the perturbation [itex]\eta[/itex] are all periodic with period [itex]a[/itex] then so is [itex]\eta \frac{\partial F}{\partial y'}[/itex], and the boundary term vanishes.

Thanks, that was really helpful. However, my lagrangian F depends also explicitly on x. I guess if the dependence of F on x is also periodic with period a then the result should still hold.

Edit: it seems to me that the assumption of periodicity is suspect here. Unless we impose this as a constraint when performing the optimisation then there is no reason it should hold. Imposing the periodicity constraint is basically what I was trying to achieve by including these boundary conditions.

Requiring that [itex]f : [0,a] \to \mathbb{R}[/itex] satisfies [itex]f(0) = f(a)[/itex] is equivalent to requiring that [itex]g : \mathbb{R} \to \mathbb{R}[/itex] is periodic with period [itex]a[/itex] - and it is natural that if [itex]y[/itex] is periodic then only periodic perturbations need to be considered.

pasmith said:
Requiring that [itex]f : [0,a] \to \mathbb{R}[/itex] satisfies [itex]f(0) = f(a)[/itex] is equivalent to requiring that [itex]g : \mathbb{R} \to \mathbb{R}[/itex] is periodic with period [itex]a[/itex] - and it is natural that if [itex]y[/itex] is periodic then only periodic perturbations need to be considered.

Ok, buy [itex]y[/itex] is a function that we obtain by solving the relevant Euler-Lagrange equations, and we have not included any periodicity constraint in there, so we have no reason to believe that the function [itex]y[/itex] that we obtain should be periodic.

Related to Calculus of variations with circular boundary conditions

1. What is the calculus of variations with circular boundary conditions?

The calculus of variations with circular boundary conditions is a branch of mathematics that deals with finding the optimal curve or function that minimizes or maximizes a given functional. The boundary conditions in this case are defined on a circular domain.

2. What are some real-world applications of the calculus of variations with circular boundary conditions?

The calculus of variations with circular boundary conditions has many applications in physics, engineering, and economics. Some examples include finding the optimal path for a satellite orbiting a planet, determining the shape of a soap bubble, and optimizing the design of a circular bridge.

3. How is the Euler-Lagrange equation used in the calculus of variations with circular boundary conditions?

The Euler-Lagrange equation is a fundamental tool in the calculus of variations with circular boundary conditions. It is used to find the critical points of a given functional, which correspond to the optimal solutions. This equation takes into account the boundary conditions and is derived by setting the functional's derivative equal to zero.

4. What is the difference between fixed and free boundary conditions in the calculus of variations with circular boundary conditions?

In the calculus of variations with circular boundary conditions, fixed boundary conditions refer to those that are specified at the endpoints of the circular domain. These conditions are fixed and cannot be changed. On the other hand, free boundary conditions are not specified at the endpoints and can vary, allowing for more flexibility in finding the optimal solution.

5. Can the calculus of variations with circular boundary conditions be applied to higher-dimensional problems?

Yes, the calculus of variations with circular boundary conditions can be extended to higher-dimensional problems, such as finding the optimal surface or volume that minimizes or maximizes a given functional. However, the mathematics becomes more complex and the solutions are more difficult to find compared to the one-dimensional case.