Calculus problem with height and velocity

In summary, a stone is thrown vertically upward from the top of a 15 ft building with an initial velocity of 23 ft/s. The height of the stone after 0.12 s is 17.5296 ft and the velocity after 3 s is -73 ft/s. To find the time when the stone hits the ground, the equation 0 = 15 + 23t - (1/2)(32)t^2 is used and solved using the quadratic formula, giving an answer of approximately 1.9246 seconds.
Beeorz

Homework Statement

A stone is tossed vertically upward with an initial velocity of 23 ft/s from the top of a 15 ft building.

(a) What is the height of the stone after 0.12 s?
(b) Find the velocity of the stone after 3 s.
(c) When does the stone hit the ground?

Homework Equations

s(t) = s0 + v0t - (1/2)g*t^2
v(t) = v0 - g*t

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) s(t) = 15 + (23)(0.12) - (1/2)(32)(0.12^2) = 17.5296
(b) v(t) = 23 - 32(3) = -73
(c) 0 = 15 + 23t - (1/2)(32)t^2
0 = 16t^2 - 23t -15

Parts (a) and (b) are correct. I am only have problems with part (c). Whenever I solve this my answer comes up incorrect. Either my math is wrong is I'm simply not working it correctly. Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF Beeorz,

You have made one 'small' error:
Beeorz said:
(c) 0 = 15 + 23t - (1/2)(32)t^2
What is the final displacement of the stone?

Where is the calculus? Isn't this just physics

ace123 said:
Where is the calculus? Isn't this just physics

Involves rates of change and differentiation. For example, calculating the maximum height is attained when v(t) = 0. And since v(t) = s'(t), the object reaches its maximum height when the tangent line to the graph of s(t) is horizontal. If that isn't a good enough answer to your superb concern and helpfulness to the question at hand then I'd say that the problem is straight out of a calculus textbook...

On the other hand, I seemed to figure it out. It turns out that I was doing it correctly but didn't even try using the quadratic formula on [15 + 23t - (1/2)(32)t^2]. It didn't even cross my mind that this formula was necessary since I haven't even used it in years. The answer I end up with is approximately equal to 1.9246. If there is another (easier) way to solve part (c) rather than using the quadratic formula then by all means, please inform me. Thank again.

FAQ: Calculus problem with height and velocity

1. How is calculus used to solve problems involving height and velocity?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with rates of change. It is used to solve problems involving height and velocity by examining the relationship between them and finding the derivative of the function.

2. What is the difference between position, velocity, and acceleration in calculus?

Position is the location of an object at a specific time, velocity is the rate of change of position, and acceleration is the rate of change of velocity. In calculus, position is represented by the function, velocity is represented by the derivative of the function, and acceleration is represented by the second derivative of the function.

3. How do you use the derivative to find the maximum height of an object?

To find the maximum height of an object, you can use the derivative of the position function. The maximum height occurs when the derivative is equal to 0. By setting the derivative equal to 0 and solving for the variable, you can find the maximum height.

4. Can calculus be used to find the velocity of an object at a specific time?

Yes, calculus can be used to find the velocity of an object at a specific time. Velocity is represented by the derivative of the position function. By plugging in the specific time into the derivative, you can find the velocity at that time.

5. How does calculus help in understanding motion and change in the physical world?

Calculus helps in understanding motion and change in the physical world by providing a way to analyze and quantify these changes. It allows us to find the rate of change, such as velocity and acceleration, at any given point in time. This understanding is crucial in many scientific fields, including physics and engineering.

Back