Calculus Project - Requesting Advice

In summary: It is more efficient to find the volume of a jelly bean through the use of piecewise functions or polar equations. However, it is possible to find the volume of a jelly bean using ellipsoids. It is also possible to find the shape of a jelly bean using deformed ellipsoids, but it is more difficult.
Alessandro Angeletti
Good afternoon,

I'm looking to complete a Mathematics Calculus Exploration for my course, before starting to write up my project I was hoping to find someone that could offer some advice or comments to make my project more successful.

First of all my project seems very simple at first glance however more complex once reflected upon.
My research question is: "Finding the most accurate volume of a Jelly Bean".
To complete this project I will use three different methods, the first one being braking down the shape of a Jelly Bean into straight lines and completing volumes of revolution of those lines and then sum their volume.
The second method will be forming several piece wise function of the Jelly Beans shape through polynomial regression and then completing volumes of revolution of these [however only rotating π].
The third method will be finding a single polar equation of the Jelly Beans shape and then finding its volume once more.
However this will only work under the assumption that a Jelly Bean has a smooth shape [no bumps or lumps along its surface].

Before starting to work on the project I had three questions that hopefully you guys would be able to answer.

1) What piece of graphing software is there available online to construct graphs of polar equations? [If possible free]
2) Is there a more efficient/concise way of finding the volume of a Jelly bean through the use of piece wise functions or polar equations?
3) Are there any more assumptions that I should make for this project?

Please leave any more suggestions of advice that you think would be useful.
Thank you all very in advance for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the assumption of smoothness of the jelly bean is good enough. Even lumps in the jelly beam seem to be smooth (i.e. no sharp lumps), probably because of the way they are prepared. It is probably reasonable to assume a symmetry under reflection (exchanging the two ends of the bean). It is more tricky to find the shape of a jelly bean but you can model it as a deformed ellipsoid. An ellipsoid is classified by 3 numbers, so maybe a jelly bean is classified by 4 numbers, the additional number being the deformation.

You could also use the archimedean water immersion of the jelly bean to determine its volume by water displaced.

With respect to free software, you could check out freemat. Its a MATLAB clone with simple plotting capability. There are other software tools available if you search for them via google.

Related to Calculus Project - Requesting Advice

1. What is a calculus project?

A calculus project is an assignment or activity that involves the application of calculus concepts and techniques to solve a problem or explore a real-world scenario. It typically requires one to use differential and integral calculus to analyze and model various situations.

2. What are some common topics for a calculus project?

Some common topics for a calculus project include optimization, related rates, area and volume problems, differential equations, and applications of calculus in physics and economics. Other topics may include curve sketching, optimization of functions with multiple variables, and applications in engineering and biology.

3. How long should a calculus project be?

The length of a calculus project can vary depending on the specific requirements and complexity of the topic. Generally, it is recommended to aim for a project that is between 5-10 pages long, including any graphs, equations, and written explanations. It is important to follow the guidelines provided by the instructor and to thoroughly cover all aspects of the project.

4. What are some tips for successfully completing a calculus project?

Some tips for completing a successful calculus project include choosing a topic that interests you, starting early and managing your time effectively, thoroughly understanding the concepts and techniques involved, and seeking help from your instructor or classmates if needed. It is also important to clearly present your work, use proper notation and labeling, and provide thorough explanations of your solutions.

5. Can I use technology to complete my calculus project?

Yes, you can use technology such as graphing calculators or computer software to assist you in completing your calculus project. However, it is important to understand the concepts and techniques involved and not solely rely on technology to solve problems. Make sure to properly cite any technology used and show all steps of your work.