Proving Limit: ((e^h-1)/h)→1 as h→0

• Thread starter yoyo16
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary: However, everything depends on what definition of ##e^x## is allowed, and we are not told anything about that. Perhaps the most straightforward definition is as the inverse of the ln function, but some writers have, instead, defined it as the usual infinite series. The most intricate and difficult definition seems to be to first define ##e## as the usual limit, and to then try to define ##e^x## as an 'exponentiation' operation. It can be done but it is far from trivial. It may be intuitive, but intuition is not proof.I agree with that too. In fact, I wrote what I did to make sure that the original poster was clear that, even though it was true that ##
yoyo16

Homework Statement

Show that the limit as h approaches 0 of ((e^h)-1) / h = ln e = 1 using two numerical examples.

Homework Equations

|Exponential

The Attempt at a Solution

I have the solution but don't quite understand the steps involved.
1)(e^h-1)/h
2)(1+h)^(1/h)=e
3)1+h=e^h
4)...

I need help understanding how you get from the first step to the second step and then to the third step when proving this limit. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The steps that are in that solution don't make any sense to me, unless it is assumed that (e^h-1)/h = 1. But, by using L'Hôpital's Rule, you can use derivatives to help you find you limit if you have indeterminate forms (0/0, ∞/∞, -∞/∞, e.g.) Take a look:

$$L = \lim_{h \to 0} \frac{e^{h}-1}{h} $$
Since this is an indeterminate form(0/0) we can use L'Hôpital's Rule; we differentiate the numerator and denominator (separately, not as one fraction).
$$L = \lim_{h \to 0} \frac{he^{h}}{1} $$
$$ln(L) = \lim_{h \to 0} h ln(h) $$
Now we need to get our limit in an indeterminate form so that we may use L'Hôpital's Rule once again..
$$ln(L) = \lim_{h \to 0} \frac{ln(h)}{1/h} $$
$$ln(L) = \lim_{h \to 0} \frac{1/h}{-1/h^{2}} $$
$$ln(L) = \lim_{h \to 0} -h $$
Now we can directly substitute 0 into our limit.
$$ln(L) = 0$$
$$L = e^{0} = 1$$
Therefore, $$\lim_{h \to 0} \frac{e^{h}-1}{h} \equiv ln(e) $$

Last edited:
vanceEE said:
The steps that are in that solution don't make any sense to me, unless it is assumed that (e^h-1)/h = 1. But, by using L'Hôpital's Rule, you can use derivatives to help you find you limit if you have indeterminate forms (0/0, ∞/∞, -∞/∞, e.g.) Take a look:

$$L = \lim_{h \to 0} \frac{e^{h}-1}{h} $$
Since this is an indeterminate form(0/0) we can use L'Hôpital's Rule; we differentiate the numerator and denominator (separately, not as one fraction).
$$L = \lim_{h \to 0} \frac{he^{h}}{1} $$
$$ln(L) = \lim_{h \to 0} h ln(h) $$
Now we need to get our limit in an indeterminate form so that we may use L'Hôpital's Rule once again..
$$ln(L) = \lim_{h \to 0} \frac{ln(h)}{1/h} $$
$$ln(L) = \lim_{h \to 0} \frac{1/h}{-1/h^{2}} $$
$$ln(L) = \lim_{h \to 0} -h $$
Now we can directly substitute 0 into our limit.
$$ln(L) = 0$$
$$L = e^{0} = 1$$
Therefore, $$\lim_{h \to 0} \frac{e^{h}-1}{h} \equiv ln(e) $$

You made some fatal errors.
[tex] \lim_{h \to 0} \frac{e^h-1}{h} = \lim_{h \to 0} \frac{(e^h-1)'}{h'} =
\lim_{h \to 0} \frac{e^h}{1} = e^0 = 1[/tex]

yoyo16 said:

Homework Statement

Show that the limit as h approaches 0 of ((e^h)-1) / h = ln e = 1 using two numerical examples.

Homework Equations

|Exponential

The Attempt at a Solution

I have the solution but don't quite understand the steps involved.
1)(e^h-1)/h
2)(1+h)^(1/h)=e
3)1+h=e^h
4)...

I need help understanding how you get from the first step to the second step and then to the third step when proving this limit. Thanks.

2) Does not follow from 1). 2) isn't even true as written. One defintion of the number ##e## is ##e=\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}(1+\frac{1}{n})^{n}##, which is equivalent to ##e=\lim_{h\rightarrow 0^+}(1+h)^{1/h}##. So ##(1+h)^{1/h}\approx e## when ##h## is small.

Then if we raise each side of this non-equation to the power ##h##, we get ##1+h\approx e^h##, which is approximately what is written in 3).

I don't know why 1) was written where it was written. I would ask the person who wrote it to clarify why they thought it was necessary to begin their proof with a non-statement that had no relevance to the statements that immediately followed. And then I would ask them why they are telling you lies like ##(1+h)^{1/h}=e##.

Ray Vickson said:
You made some fatal errors.

I'd say the most egregious error is using ##(e^h)'=e^h## to prove that ##\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{e^h-1}{h}=1## when it is almost certain that ##\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{e^h-1}{h}=1## is, in short order, going to be used to show that ##(e^x)'=e^x##. Circular logic is bad, m'kay.

gopher_p said:
2) Does not follow from 1). 2) isn't even true as written. One defintion of the number ##e## is ##e=\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}(1+\frac{1}{n})^{n}##, which is equivalent to ##e=\lim_{h\rightarrow 0^+}(1+h)^{1/h}##. So ##(1+h)^{1/h}\approx e## when ##h## is small.

Then if we raise each side of this non-equation to the power ##h##, we get ##1+h\approx e^h##, which is approximately what is written in 3).

I don't know why 1) was written where it was written. I would ask the person who wrote it to clarify why they thought it was necessary to begin their proof with a non-statement that had no relevance to the statements that immediately followed. And then I would ask them why they are telling you lies like ##(1+h)^{1/h}=e##.

I'd say the most egregious error is using ##(e^h)'=e^h## to prove that ##\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{e^h-1}{h}=1## when it is almost certain that ##\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{e^h-1}{h}=1## is, in short order, going to be used to show that ##(e^x)'=e^x##. Circular logic is bad, m'kay.

I agree, but that was not the point. I was correcting a serious error in a previous poster's use of l'Hospital's rule.

However, everything depends on what definition of ##e^x## is allowed, and we are not told anything about that. Perhaps the most straightforward definition is as the inverse of the ln function, but some writers have, instead, defined it as the usual infinite series. The most intricate and difficult definition seems to be to first define ##e## as the usual limit, and to then try to define ##e^x## as an 'exponentiation' operation. It can be done but it is far from trivial. It may be intuitive, but intuition is not proof.

Ray Vickson said:
I agree, but that was not the point. I was correcting a serious error in a previous poster's use of l'Hospital's rule.

However, everything depends on what definition of ##e^x## is allowed, and we are not told anything about that. Perhaps the most straightforward definition is as the inverse of the ln function, but some writers have, instead, defined it as the usual infinite series. The most intricate and difficult definition seems to be to first define ##e## as the usual limit, and to then try to define ##e^x## as an 'exponentiation' operation. It can be done but it is far from trivial. It may be intuitive, but intuition is not proof.

Yes. I was trying to add to your comment rather than comment on your comment. I suppose that wasn't clear.

I agree that it totally boils down to how one defines ##e##. The textbook that my department currently uses (Briggs/Cochran) takes the easy way out and defines ##e## to be the unique number satisfying ##\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{e^h-1}{h}=1## (which is totally lazy and unfair to the students if you ask me). Regardless of how you define ##e## or ##e^x##, there is always something to prove, and it's usually non-trivial.

Related to Proving Limit: ((e^h-1)/h)→1 as h→0

1. What is the meaning of "Proving Limit"?

"Proving Limit" refers to the mathematical process of showing that a function approaches a certain value (known as a limit) as its input approaches a specific value or point. In this case, the function being analyzed is ((e^h-1)/h) and the specific value or point being approached is 0.

2. What is the significance of proving the limit of ((e^h-1)/h) to be 1 as h approaches 0?

Proving this limit is significant because it demonstrates the behavior of the function as its input approaches a particular value. In this case, as h approaches 0, the function ((e^h-1)/h) approaches a value of 1. This knowledge is essential in understanding the behavior of functions and can be applied in various mathematical and scientific contexts.

3. How is this limit proven to be 1 as h approaches 0?

This limit can be proven using various mathematical techniques, such as using the definition of a limit or using algebraic manipulations. One common method is to use the L'Hôpital's rule, which involves taking the derivative of both the numerator and denominator of the function and evaluating the limit again. Ultimately, the goal is to show that the limit approaches 1 as h approaches 0 through rigorous mathematical reasoning.

4. What is the purpose of using e in the function ((e^h-1)/h)?

The number e (approximately equal to 2.718) is a special mathematical constant that has many applications in calculus, particularly in the study of exponential and logarithmic functions. In this function, e is used to represent the base of the natural logarithm, and its inclusion helps simplify the expression and make it easier to evaluate the limit.

5. Is proving this limit of ((e^h-1)/h) necessary in all mathematical and scientific contexts?

No, proving this limit is not necessary in all contexts. However, it is essential in areas of calculus, such as differential equations, where understanding the behavior of functions is crucial. It is also relevant in fields such as physics and engineering, where functions and limits are used to model real-world phenomena and solve problems.