Calculus Related Rates Problems

In summary, the static formula states that the distance between the carts, x, is given by x^2+144 and the dynamic formula states that the distance between the carts, x, is given by (x^2+144)^-1/2*dx/dt and (y^2+144)^-1/2*dy/dt.
gina4930
Two carts, A and B, are connected by a rope 39 ft long that passes over a pulley P (see the figure). The point Q is on the floor h = 12 ft directly beneath P and between the carts. Cart A is being pulled away from Q at a speed of 2.5 ft/s. How fast is cart B moving toward Q at the instant when cart A is 5 ft from Q?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not too sure where to go with this but I think I got the start:

(x^2+12^2)^1/2+(y^2+12^2)^1/2=39

Can somewhere tell me if this is right and where to go from here?

Welcome to PF, gina4930! :smile:

You mentioned something about a figure?
I'm afraid it's too hard for me to deduce what you're doing without a figure. :redface:

I assume your picture shows two carts, on a level surface, connected by a rope passing over a pulley at some point above and between them. The height of the pulley is 12 ft. Let x be the distance from Q to one cart and y the distance from Q to the other cart. Then the hypotenuse of the right triangle formed by the first cart, P, and Q, is given by [itex]\sqrt{x^2+ 144}[/itex]. The hypotenuse of the right triangle formed by the second cart, P, and Q, is given by [itex]\sqrt{y^2+ 144}[/itex]. The two hypotenuses form the entire length of the rope: [itex]\sqrt{x^2+ 144}+ \sqrt{y^2+ 144}= 39[/itex]. That's the formula you have. Well, done!

That is the "static" formula. To get a "dynamic" formula, relating the rates of motion, differentiate both sides with respect to t, using the chain rule. Your final formula will involve both dx/dt and dy/dt. You are given one and asked to find the other.

Hey HoI! :wink:

That looks like a very plausible interpretation of the problem!

When I differentiated the equation, I got:
1/2(x^2+144)^-1/2*(2x*dx/dt) + 1/2(y^2+144)^-1/2*(2y*dy/dt)=0
then I substituted in x=-5 , dx/dt= -2.5 , and y= (533)^1/2
When I solved for dy/dt I got two totally different answers. The first time I got -1.08 and the second time I got -.04. According to my online assignment, neither of these are correct. Can anyone point out my mistake? Thanks!

Looking good...

But how did you get y=(533)^1/2?

I solved for y using the original equation. I thought using (533)^1/2 is more accurate then putting 23.1.

Ah well, after correcting a mistake of my own, I get y=√532, which is still different from yours.

And after that I get dy/dt=-1.084 m/s.

Since the problem asks how fast cart B is moving toward Q, the answer should be 1.084 m/s.
Can it be that it should be without a minus sign?

I did not even think to put it without a minus sign. Thank you. Thank was the correct answer. I greatly appreciate it.

Good! :smile:

Related to Calculus Related Rates Problems

What is a "calculus related rates problem"?

A calculus related rates problem involves using the principles of calculus to determine the rate at which one variable changes with respect to another variable. These types of problems often involve finding the rate of change of a particular quantity at a specific point in time.

What are the steps for solving a calculus related rates problem?

The steps for solving a calculus related rates problem are:

1. Identify the variables involved and the relationship between them.

2. Determine the equation that relates the variables.

3. Take the derivative of both sides of the equation with respect to time.

4. Substitute in the given values and solve for the unknown rate.

What type of real-world problems can be solved using calculus related rates?

Calculus related rates can be used to solve a variety of real-world problems such as determining the speed of a moving object, the rate at which a chemical reaction is occurring, or the rate at which a population is growing or shrinking.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving calculus related rates problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving calculus related rates problems include:

- Not properly identifying the variables and their relationship

- Forgetting to take the derivative of both sides of the equation

- Incorrectly substituting in the given values

How can I improve my skills in solving calculus related rates problems?

The best way to improve your skills in solving calculus related rates problems is to practice regularly and to make sure you fully understand the concepts and formulas involved. It may also be helpful to work through example problems and seek assistance from a tutor or teacher if needed.