Calculus Review - Tangent of function and find y-intercept

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the intersection point of a tangent line and the vertical axis on a graph of the function g(ξ) = [(2H)/π] arctan(ξ). The solution involves finding the slope and y-intercept of the tangent line by taking the derivative and plugging in the given values for H and ξ0. A mistake is made in evaluating the y = mx + b equation, resulting in an incorrect y-intercept.
oddjobmj

Homework Statement

Consider g(ξ) = [(2H)/π] arctan(ξ).
Plot a graph of the function g(ξ).
Imagine a line that passes through the point on the curve at ξ0 = 1.30, and which is tangent to the curve at that point. Where does the tangent line intersect the vertical axis?
[DATA: H = 2.00 ; ξ0 = 1.30 .]

Homework Equations

y=mx+b

The Attempt at a Solution

Firstly I know that H=2 so I can easily simplify the question to (4/π)*arctan(ξ).

I then want to find the slope so I take the derivative of that function and get 4/(πξ^2+π) then plug in ξ=1.3 to find the slope at that point. The result is: 0.473323

I can also plug ξ=1.3 into the original equation to find the y value at that point. The result is: 1.16514

Plugging in those values to y=mx+b I get 1.16514=(.473323)(1.3)+b. The resulting y-intercept (b) is 1.89.

Unfortunately, this is not correct! I am obviously making a silly mistake somewhere. Is anyone able to point out what I did wrong?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
You didn't evaluate y = mx + b correctly.

If y = 1.16514 and mx = 0.473323*1.3, then b must be less than 1.16514

I really have no idea what to say. I'll start with a thank you. Sometimes the most obvious things...

You're welcome. Good luck with the rest of your review.

FAQ: Calculus Review - Tangent of function and find y-intercept

1. What is the definition of a tangent line in calculus?

A tangent line is a straight line that touches a curve at a specific point without crossing over it. It represents the instantaneous slope of the curve at that point.

2. How is the slope of a tangent line calculated?

The slope of a tangent line can be calculated by finding the derivative of the function at the point of tangency. This is done using the limit definition of the derivative, which involves taking the limit as the change in x approaches zero.

3. What is the significance of the y-intercept in calculus?

The y-intercept is the point where the tangent line crosses the y-axis. In calculus, it represents the initial value of the function, or the value of the function at x=0.

4. How can the y-intercept be found from a given function?

The y-intercept can be found by setting x=0 in the function and solving for y. This will give the y-coordinate of the point where the tangent line crosses the y-axis.

5. Can the slope of a tangent line be negative?

Yes, the slope of a tangent line can be positive, negative, or zero, depending on the behavior of the function at the point of tangency. A negative slope indicates that the function is decreasing at that point.