Calculus Solving for Present value of payments

In summary: The formula is for *discrete* payments at regularly-spaced points in time, but the problem asked for a *continuous* stream of payments, and presumably using *continuous* compounding/discounting. That will turn an arithmetic/algebraic problem into a calculus problem! So, you need the formulas for continuous-time discounting.In summary, the problem involves valuing a car at $30,000 with continuous payments over 5 years at an interest rate of 10% per year. To determine the amount of payment needed per year, a formula for continuous-time discounting should be used. For the second part, where payments increase with time, the same formula can be used to solve for the time it takes to pay off
alexs2jennisha

Homework Statement

You value a car to be $30,000. If you plan to make continuous payments over 5 years and at an interest rate of r = :1.

1) How much should you pay per year so that the present value of your total payments in 30; 000?
2)What if instead you decided to let your payments increase with time and pay at a rate of $6000 + t1000 per year, where t is measured in years. How long would it take you to pay o the car ? (Note the equation you get might be dicult to solve, so you can use a graphing calculator to estimate.)

Homework Equations

The formula that i think i should use is

PV = PMT(1-(1/(1+i)^n)) / i

The Attempt at a Solution

For part 1:

solving for PMT I got 7913.48. Did i do that correctly?

For part 2:
Im not too sure how to approach this. Do i use the same equation and solve for t? I assume the t is the same as the n i used in my pv formula, is this correct?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
What does r = :1. mean? What does making 'continuous payments' mean?

alexs2jennisha said:

Homework Statement

You value a car to be $30,000. If you plan to make continuous payments over 5 years and at an interest rate of r = :1.

1) How much should you pay per year so that the present value of your total payments in 30; 000?
2)What if instead you decided to let your payments increase with time and pay at a rate of $6000 + t1000 per year, where t is measured in years. How long would it take you to pay o the car ? (Note the equation you get might be dicult to solve, so you can use a graphing calculator to estimate.)

Homework Equations

The formula that i think i should use is

PV = PMT(1-(1/(1+i)^n)) / i

The Attempt at a Solution

For part 1:

solving for PMT I got 7913.48. Did i do that correctly?

For part 2:
Im not too sure how to approach this. Do i use the same equation and solve for t? I assume the t is the same as the n i used in my pv formula, is this correct?

Thanks

What does r = :1 mean? Do you mean to write r = 0.1? Is that the *annual* rate (that is, the interest rate is 10% per year)?

Your formula is for discrete payments at regularly-spaced points in time, but the problem asked for a *continuous* stream of payments, and presumably using *continuous* compounding/discounting. That will turn an arithmetic/algebraic problem into a calculus problem! So, you need the formulas for continuous-time discounting.

I'm pretty for q1 you need to use a continuous paying annuity formula which is [itex] PV=PMT*((1-v^n )/delta) [/itex] where [itex] delta=ln(1+r)[/itex] and [itex] v=1/(1+r) [/itex]

bagram said:
I'm pretty for q1 you need to use a continuous paying annuity formula which is [itex] PV=PMT*((1-v^n )/delta) [/itex] where [itex] delta=ln(1+r)[/itex] and [itex] v=1/(1+r) [/itex]

I am 100% sure you should not use this formula.

Related to Calculus Solving for Present value of payments

1. What is the present value of payments in calculus?

The present value of payments in calculus is a mathematical concept that calculates the current value of a series of future payments taking into account the time value of money. It is used to determine the worth of a stream of future payments in today's dollars.

2. How is the present value of payments calculated?

The present value of payments is calculated using the formula PV = PMT * [(1 - (1 + r)^-n)/r], where PV is the present value, PMT is the payment amount, r is the interest rate, and n is the number of periods.

3. Why is it important to calculate the present value of payments?

Calculating the present value of payments is important because it helps us to make informed financial decisions. It allows us to compare the current value of future payments to their original value and understand the impact of inflation and interest rates on our investments or loans.

4. What factors can affect the present value of payments?

The present value of payments is affected by several factors, including the interest rate, the number of periods, and the payment amount. Other factors such as inflation, risk, and opportunity cost can also have an impact on the present value of payments.

5. Can the present value of payments be negative?

Yes, the present value of payments can be negative. This can happen when the payment amount is greater than the present value, resulting in a negative present value. It can also occur when the interest rate is high, causing the present value to decrease over time.