Calculus Word Problem - Thermodynamics

In summary, the given equation dθ/dt = 10(Ta − θ(t)) can be integrated to find the relation between time and temperature. After integrating and taking into account the initial temperature of 100 at t = 0, the object will reach temperatures of 60, 40, and 30 at specific times.
brunocamba
Consider an object at temperature θ in an a place which temperature is Ta. The rate of change of the temperature is given as: dθ/dt = 10(Ta − θ(t)). If the room temperature is constant at Ta=20,and the initial temperature of the object is θ(0) = 100. When will the object reach temperatures of 60,40 and 30?

Attempt:

Integrating both sides of equation dθ/dt = 10(Ta − θ(t)) , but i am struggling with that. I am not sure if it is θ = 10 * Ta * t - 5 θˆ2

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
brunocamba said:
Consider an object at temperature θ in an a place which temperature is Ta. The rate of change of the temperature is given as: dθ/dt = 10(Ta − θ(t)). If the room temperature is constant at Ta=20,and the initial temperature of the object is θ(0) = 100. When will the object reach temperatures of 60,40 and 30?

Attempt:

Integrating both sides of equation dθ/dt = 10(Ta − θ(t)) , but i am struggling with that. I am not sure if it is θ = 10 * Ta * t - 5 θˆ2

The given equation is,

[tex]\frac{d\theta}{dt} = 10(Ta − θ(t))[/tex]

Where θ(t) presumably denotes the temperature at a given time t. Dividing both the equations by [itex](Ta − θ(t)[/itex] you will have,

[tex]\frac{d\theta}{(Ta − θ)} = 10dt[/tex]

This you can integrate to find the relation between time and temperature.

Thanks! Integrating this do i get -log(Ta-θ) = 10 * t ?

brunocamba said:

Yes! :smile:

You can also think about integrating,

[tex]\frac{d\theta}{\theta - Ta} = -10dt[/tex]

Because it turns out easier to evaluate.

brunocamba said:

You left out the constant of integration. You need to use the initial condition θ =100 at t = 0.

Thanks! Yes I realized i was missing something, but I finally got it right. Thanks everyone!

Related to Calculus Word Problem - Thermodynamics

1. What is the relationship between calculus and thermodynamics?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of change and is essential in understanding thermodynamics, which is the study of energy and its transformations. Calculus is used to model and solve equations related to thermodynamic processes, such as finding the rate of change of temperature over time or the work done by a system.

2. How can calculus be applied to thermodynamics in real-world scenarios?

Calculus can be applied to thermodynamics in various real-world scenarios, such as determining the efficiency of heat engines, predicting the behavior of gases under different conditions, and analyzing heat transfer in different materials. Calculus allows us to model and understand these systems mathematically, making it an essential tool in thermodynamics.

3. What are some common thermodynamics problems that can be solved using calculus?

Some common thermodynamics problems that can be solved using calculus include finding the rate of change of temperature in a system, determining the work done by a gas, calculating the efficiency of a heat engine, and predicting the behavior of a gas under different conditions. These problems involve understanding and manipulating equations using calculus concepts such as derivatives and integrals.

4. How does the use of calculus in thermodynamics differ from its use in other branches of science?

The use of calculus in thermodynamics is similar to its use in other branches of science, such as physics and chemistry, in that it helps us understand and analyze complex systems mathematically. However, in thermodynamics, calculus is specifically used to study energy and its transformations, making it a crucial tool for understanding this field of science.

5. Are there any specific calculus techniques that are commonly used in solving thermodynamics problems?

Yes, there are several specific calculus techniques that are commonly used in solving thermodynamics problems, including the use of derivatives, integrals, and differential equations. These techniques allow us to model and analyze thermodynamic processes and systems, making calculus an essential tool for understanding and solving problems in this field.