Calculus Work Problem (Spherical Water Tower)

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of filling a spherical water tower with water and calculating the amount of work done. The tower has a diameter of 40 ft and is 120 ft above the ground. The formula for calculating work is given as dW = (dV)*(density)*(displacement), and the attempt at a solution involves finding the volume of a cylindrical section of the tank and using (120-y) as the displacement. There is uncertainty about the displacement and how to convert x to y. The suggestion is made to draw a right-angle triangle and use the Pythagorean theorem to solve for the displacement.
dbai

Homework Statement

A spherical water tower 40 ft in diameter has its center 120 ft above the ground. That means, there is a 120 ft pole connected to the 40 ft diameter spherical tank. Water is being pumped at the ground level to fill the tank with water of density 62.4 lb/ft3,

a) How much work is done in filling the tank half full?
b) How much work is done in filling the tank ENTIRELY full?

Homework Equations

dW = (dV)*(density)*(displacement)

The Attempt at a Solution

• I calculated that dV would be a cylindrical section of the tank with height dy --> πx2 dy
  • Density is given 62.4 lb/ft3
  • I used (120 - y) as my displacement

∫(Pi)x2(120 - y) dy Limits: 0-120 ??

I don't know if the displacement is correct and how to convert x in terms of y.

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not sure what it is are using x for? Do you mean r?

What is x supposed to be here? You should draw a picture of a right-angle triangle whose L-shape rests upright on the infinitesimal cylindrical slice of water. Then the hypotenuse would be constant, namely 20^2. Denote the base by x (or r) and the height as 20-y. See how to take to it from here?

Related to Calculus Work Problem (Spherical Water Tower)

1. What is a "Calculus Work Problem (Spherical Water Tower)"?

A "Calculus Work Problem (Spherical Water Tower)" is a mathematical problem that involves using calculus to determine the work required to fill or empty a spherical water tower.

2. How is calculus used to solve this type of problem?

Calculus is used to find the volume of the spherical water tower, which is then used to calculate the amount of work required to fill or empty it. This is done by using integrals to find the area under the curve of the function that represents the shape of the water tower.

3. What are the key factors that need to be considered in a "Calculus Work Problem (Spherical Water Tower)"?

The key factors that need to be considered are the radius of the spherical water tower, the height of the water level, the density of the water, and the acceleration due to gravity.

4. Can you provide an example of how to solve a "Calculus Work Problem (Spherical Water Tower)"?

Sure, for example, if a spherical water tower has a radius of 10 meters and the water level is 8 meters high, with a water density of 1000 kg/m³ and an acceleration due to gravity of 9.8 m/s², the work required to fill the water tower would be calculated by finding the volume of the water tower (V = 4/3 πr³) and then using the formula W = mgh, where m is the mass of the water (ρV), g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the water level.

5. What are some real-world applications of "Calculus Work Problem (Spherical Water Tower)"?

Calculating the work required to fill or empty a spherical water tower has practical applications in engineering, such as designing systems for water distribution and storage. It can also be used in physics to analyze the forces and work involved in moving liquids in containers with curved shapes.

Back