Calculute the flux resulting from a certain vector field in a cube.

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the flux of a cube using the divergence theorem and parametrizing a face to find the normal and dot product. It is mentioned that the field is not the same in all directions and that the normal to the opposite face is <0, 0, -1>. The divergence theorem may be a simpler method for finding the flux, unless the exercise requires both methods to be used.
mahrap
Let's say there is a cube sitting in the first octant. Our F(x,y,z): <ax , by, cz> and Each face of the cube is oriented to outward pointing normal. Can I just calculate the the flux of one face and then multiply this by the number of faces to get the total flux? Will flux in a cube always be symmetric?

I think you can parametrize a face by letting G(x,y,z)=<x,y,1>. Then use this to find normal and dot this with F(x,y,z) and integrate with dx dy with x and y ranging from where the sides start to where they end?

I'm not sure. Please Help.

Physics news on Phys.org

mahrap said:
Let's say there is a cube sitting in the first octant. Our F(x,y,z): <ax , by, cz> and Each face of the cube is oriented to outward pointing normal. Can I just calculate the the flux of one face and then multiply this by the number of faces to get the total flux? Will flux in a cube always be symmetric?
No. You cannot calculate the flux by considering only one face. The field is not the same in all directions.

I think you can parametrize a face by letting G(x,y,z)=<x,y,1>. Then use this to find normal and dot this with F(x,y,z) and integrate with dx dy with x and y ranging from where the sides start to where they end?

I'm not sure. Please Help.
If it's a unit cube, then yes, the face at z = 1, can be parametrized as <x,y,1>. Furthermore, the normal vector to this face, pointing outwards from the cube is <0, 0, 1> .

To find the flux through this face, take the dot product (inner product) of <0, 0, 1> and F(x,y,z) and integrate over the face.

etc.

BTW: The normal to the opposite face is <0, 0, -1> . This is the face at z = 0 .

It might be simpler to use the "divergence theorem":
[tex]\int\int\int \nabla\cdot \vec{F} dV= \int\int \vec{F}\cdot d\vec{S}[/tex]
in other words, instead of integrating the vector function over the faces of the cube, integrate its divergence over the cube itself.

(Unless, of course, this exercise asks you to do both and compare!)

FAQ: Calculute the flux resulting from a certain vector field in a cube.

1. What is flux?

Flux is a measure of the flow of a vector field through a given surface or region. It is a scalar quantity that represents the amount of a vector field passing through a surface per unit time.

2. How do you calculate flux?

To calculate flux, you first need to define a surface or region in which the vector field will pass through. Then, you use the formula Flux = ∫∫S F · dS, where F is the vector field and dS is the differential surface area element. This formula can be solved using integration.

3. What is a vector field?

A vector field is a mathematical construct that assigns a vector to each point in space. These vectors represent the direction and magnitude of a physical quantity, such as velocity, force, or electric field, at that point.

4. What is a cube?

A cube is a three-dimensional shape with six square faces, all of which are equal in size. It has eight vertices and 12 edges, and its sides are perpendicular to each other.

5. How does the size of the cube affect the flux calculation?

The size of the cube does not affect the flux calculation, as long as the same surface or region is used to calculate the flux. However, a larger cube may result in a larger flux value, as there is more surface area for the vector field to pass through.