Callen Thermodynamics 2.8-2 matter flow equilibrium

In summary, the system has the following equilibria:-T_e=400K-N_{1l}=37B^2/100A^3V_0-N_{1r}=37B^2/100A^3V_0Thank you for your help!In summary, the system has the following equilibria:-T_e=400K-N_{1l}=37B^2/100A^3V_0-N_{1r}=37B^2/100A^3V_0
It's me

Homework Statement

A two component gaseous system has a fundamental equation of the form
$$S=AU^{1/3} V^{1/3} N^{1/3} + \frac{BN_1N_2}{N}$$ where $$N=N_1+N_2$$
and A and B are positive constants. A closed cylinder of total volume 2V_0 is separated into two equal subvolumes by a rigid diathermal partition permeable only to the first component. One mole of the first component at a temperature T_l is introduced in the left-hand subvolume and a mixture of 1/2 mole of each component is introduced in the right-hand subvolume at a temperature T_r.

Find the equilibrium temperature T_e and the mole numbers in each subvolume when the system has come to equilibrium, assuming that $$T_r=2T_l=400K$$ and that $$37B^2=100A^3V_0$$. Neglect the heat capacity of the walls of the container.

Homework Equations

$$\frac{1}{T}=(\frac{\partial S}{\partial U})$$
$$\frac{P}{T}=(\frac{\partial S}{\partial V})$$
$$\frac{-\mu_1}{T}=(\frac{\partial S}{\partial N_1})$$

The Attempt at a Solution

I am trying to use the definitions of the equations of state and conservation of internal energy and chemical potential in order to find relationships that will allow me to solve for N_1l, N_1r, and T_e. This is how far I've gone:

$$\frac{1}{T}=(\frac{\partial S}{\partial U})=\frac{1}{3}AU^{-2/3}V^{1/3}N^{1/3}$$
$$\Rightarrow U=(\frac{ATV^{1/3}N^{1/3}}{3})^{3/2}$$
$$\frac{-\mu_{1l}}{T}=(\frac{\partial S}{\partial V})=\frac{1}{3}AU^{1/3}V^{1/3}(N_{1l}+N_{2l})^{-2/3}+\frac{(N_{1l}+N_{2l})BN_{2l}-BN_{1l}N_{2l}}{(N_{1l}+N_{2l})^2}=\frac{1}{3}AU^{1/3}V^{1/3}N_{1l}^{-2/3}$$
$$\frac{-\mu_{1r}}{T}=(\frac{\partial S}{\partial V})=\frac{1}{3}AU^{1/3}V^{1/3}(N_{1r}+N_{2r})^{-2/3}+\frac{(N_{1r}+N_{2r})BN_{2r}-BN_{1r}N_{2r}}{(N_{1r}+N_{2r})^2}$$
$$\mu_{1l}=\mu_{1r}$$

I really don't know how to proceed from here and how to use the relation given at the end of the problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, and welcome to PF!

So far, your equations look good to me. The last term on the right side of your next to last equation will simplify somewhat.

Looks like you're in for some fairly complicated algebra to solve for the equilibrium temperature ##T_e## and the final mole numbers ##N_{1l}## and ##N_{1r}##. I think you will need a few more relations. As you noted, ##\mu_{1l} = \mu_{1r}## at equilibrium. What other quantity must be the same for the left and right compartments at equilbrium?

There are also a couple of conserved quantities that don't change during the approach to equilibrium. This should give you two more equations to work with.

At equilibrium $$U_l=U_r$$, right? And also $$N_{1l} + N_{1r}= 3/2$$ I haven't been able to use these relations though, I still get more variables than equations. Am I missing something?

It's me said:
At equilibrium $$U_l=U_r$$, right?

No, the energy on the left does not need to equal the energy on the right. What can you say about the final total energy of the system?

And also $$N_{1l} + N_{1r}= 3/2$$ I haven't been able to use these relations though, I still get more variables than equations. Am I missing something?

This equation is correct.

Can you say anything about the temperatures of the left and right compartments at equilibrium? Does that give you another relation?

Oh right, I meant to say $$U_i=U_f=U_l+U_r$$. $$T_l=T_r=T_e$$

Yes. That looks good. Conservation of total energy should lead to a relation between Te, the initial temperatures, and the initial final number of moles on the left and right.

Last edited:
It's me said:
Oh right, I meant to say $$U_i=U_f=U_l+U_r$$. $$T_l=T_r=T_e$$
Am I missing something? Doesn't the last equation contradict the imposition that [itex]T_r=2T_l ?[/itex]

TSny said:
Yes. That looks good. Conservation of total energy should lead to a relation between Te, the initial temperatures, and the initial final number of moles on the left and right.
Wouldn't I need to know something about their heat capacity to find this relation?

Othin said:
Am I missing something? Doesn't the last equation contradict the imposition that [itex]T_r=2T_l ?[/itex]
In post #5, ##T_r## and ##T_l## refer to the final equilibrium temperatures of the left and right compartments rather than the initial temperatures.

Othin said:
Wouldn't I need to know something about their heat capacity to find this relation?
No, I don't believe you do. There are 3 unknowns: ##T_e##, and the final values of ##N_{1l}##, and ##N_{1r}##.

And you have three relations:
(1) ##T_{l, final} = T_{r,final}##
(2) ##\mu_{1l,final} = \mu_{1r,final}##
(3) Conservation of energy

TSny said:
No, I don't believe you do. There are 3 unknowns: ##T_e##, and the final values of ##N_{1l}##, and ##N_{1r}##.

And you have three relations:
(1) ##T_{l, final} = T_{r,final}##
(2) ##\mu_{1l,final} = \mu_{1r,final}##
(3) Conservation of energy
Yes, after a little work I came to a system which is theoretically solvable, though far too big.

From post #1
It's me said:

The Attempt at a Solution

$$\frac{-\mu_{1l}}{T}=(\frac{\partial S}{\partial V})=\frac{1}{3}AU^{1/3}V^{1/3}(N_{1l}+N_{2l})^{-2/3}+\frac{(N_{1l}+N_{2l})BN_{2l}-BN_{1l}N_{2l}}{(N_{1l}+N_{2l})^2}=\frac{1}{3}AU^{1/3}V^{1/3}N_{1l}^{-2/3}$$
$$\frac{-\mu_{1r}}{T}=(\frac{\partial S}{\partial V})=\frac{1}{3}AU^{1/3}V^{1/3}(N_{1r}+N_{2r})^{-2/3}+\frac{(N_{1r}+N_{2r})BN_{2r}-BN_{1r}N_{2r}}{(N_{1r}+N_{2r})^2}$$

Just for the record, there is a typographical error above where the first ##(\frac{\partial S}{\partial V})## should be ##(\frac{\partial S}{\partial N_{1l}})## and the second ##(\frac{\partial S}{\partial V})## should be ##(\frac{\partial S}{\partial N_{1r}})##

Othin said:
Yes, after a little work I came to a system which is theoretically solvable, though far too big.
I used Mathematica to get a numerical solution to one of the equations.

Likes Othin

Related to Callen Thermodynamics 2.8-2 matter flow equilibrium

1. What is Callen Thermodynamics 2.8-2 matter flow equilibrium?

Callen Thermodynamics 2.8-2 matter flow equilibrium is a thermodynamic concept that describes the state of a system where the flow of matter is in equilibrium. This means that the amount of matter entering and leaving the system is balanced, resulting in a steady state of matter within the system.

2. How is matter flow equilibrium achieved in a system?

Matter flow equilibrium is achieved when there is no net flow of matter into or out of the system. This can be achieved through various processes such as diffusion, osmosis, and other forms of molecular transport.

3. What is the significance of matter flow equilibrium in thermodynamics?

In thermodynamics, matter flow equilibrium is an important concept as it helps to understand and analyze the behavior of systems with regard to the flow of matter. It also helps to determine the conditions necessary for a system to reach a state of equilibrium.

4. Can matter flow equilibrium be applied to all types of systems?

Yes, matter flow equilibrium can be applied to all types of systems, whether it is a closed system, open system, or isolated system. As long as there is a flow of matter involved, the concept of matter flow equilibrium can be applied.

5. How is matter flow equilibrium related to the second law of thermodynamics?

The second law of thermodynamics states that in a closed system, the total entropy of the system and its surroundings will always increase. In the context of matter flow equilibrium, this means that in order for a system to reach a steady state of matter, there must be a continuous flow of matter, which results in an increase in entropy. This is why matter flow equilibrium is often referred to as a state of maximum entropy.