Callen: Thermodynamics (general fail)

In summary: It says to use an expansion in the problem. So I did that and got this: <\Delta \hat{V}>_N^2 = -kb T\left(\frac{\partial V}{\partial P}\right)_{N, N_1, \dots}I plugged in N=4 and solved for T.The temperature is T=90^*K.
go_ducks
Greetings, I'm a 4th year physics undergrad, hoping to avoid entering a 5th. Using 2nd edition of Callen for Thermo class in upper div. I'm having a real hard time solving any problem in this book. I haven't had nightmares over homeworks since my math methods class which used Arfken. The problem is just ..I don't seem to have the pre-requisite understanding of thermodynamics / statistical physics. Lecture also covers different topics (yes, really.) I am going to post up a couple problems, not really looking for answers but maybe what I should've read up on first before I tried this problem. This is from the 2nd edition of callen. I have a lot of other problems I just think i'd ask about the worst one first.

Homework Statement

19.3-6. Consider a small quantity of matter consisting of a fixed number N moles in a large fluid system. Let ρN be the average density of these N moles: the mass divided by the volume. Show that equation 19.17 implies that the density fluctuations are

<(ΔρN)^2> / (ρN)^2 = + kb * T * κt / V

in which V is the average volume of the N moles.

--
ok , i can't seem to understand the sigma symbol, so let me explain

kb is the Boltzmann constant
κt is k-sub-t (subscript), i actually don't know what this is.
ΔρN has a hat ( a ^ symbol) on the ρ
ρN is ρ-sub-N (subscript)

Homework Equations

eq 19.17 is:

<(ΔV-hat)^2> = -kb T (dv/dp)t,N1,... = kB T V κT

The Attempt at a Solution

I met up with 4 other students and we tried to make sense of it. It doesn't . Read the Callen chapter which is bewildering. Other than ch 19, we went over ch 1-7. I tried reading the other chapters before it. Went home trying to work on it. Tried to just replace ρ with M/V throughout the problem, hoping it would be a plug-and-chug answer. Tried to reverse engineer the goal-equation to see what needs doing (it seems like multiply both sides by M/V^3... can't recall off-hand.. it was something that made no sense. After that I began reading about fluctuations and stat mech online... also didnt help. Basically after that I started trying to just look the answer up somewhere, and that wasnt fruitful. I have..an empty sheet, because I don't even know where to start. I considered maybe attacking the (dv/dp) term in 19.17 since we have been doing manipulations like that up until now, but I am not very sure of what I am doing with that anyway.So..I'm sure someone knows how to nail this problem. Can I be provided with some maybe useful links and advise on how to solve it? I mean, I feel like I just don't have the tools. Maybe there is a concept of thermodynamics I missed badly along the way somewhere. I love my professor but wow this problem has made me suffer.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Equation 19.17 is
[tex]\langle (\Delta \hat{V})^2 \rangle = -k_B T\left(\frac{\partial V}{\partial P}\right)_{T, N_1, \dots} = k_B T V \kappa_T[/tex]where
[tex]\kappa_T = -\frac{1}{V}\left(\frac{\partial V}{\partial P}\right)_T[/tex]is the isothermal compressibility (see page 84).

The density is equal to [itex]\hat{\rho}_N = N/\hat{V}[/itex], and its average value is [itex]\rho_N = N/V[/itex], where V is the average volume. Therefore, the fluctuation in density is
[tex]\Delta \hat{\rho}_N = \hat{\rho}_N - \rho_N = \frac{N}{\hat{V}} - \frac{N}{V}[/tex]Try using [itex]\hat V = V + \Delta \hat V[/itex] and expanding the first term to first order in [itex]\Delta \hat V[/itex].

An expansion! I should've known...

Related to Callen: Thermodynamics (general fail)

1. What is the main focus of "Callen: Thermodynamics (general fail)"?

The main focus of "Callen: Thermodynamics (general fail)" is to provide a comprehensive understanding of the principles and laws of thermodynamics, with a particular emphasis on the application of these principles to real-world systems and processes.

2. Who is the target audience for "Callen: Thermodynamics (general fail)"?

The target audience for "Callen: Thermodynamics (general fail)" is primarily undergraduate and graduate students studying thermodynamics, as well as professionals in the fields of physics, chemistry, engineering, and related disciplines.

3. Is "Callen: Thermodynamics (general fail)" a suitable textbook for beginners?

No, "Callen: Thermodynamics (general fail)" is not recommended for beginners as it assumes a basic understanding of calculus, physics, and chemistry. It is better suited for students who have already taken introductory courses in thermodynamics.

4. What sets "Callen: Thermodynamics (general fail)" apart from other thermodynamics textbooks?

"Callen: Thermodynamics (general fail)" is known for its rigorous and mathematical approach to thermodynamics, making it a valuable resource for advanced students and professionals. It also includes a wide range of real-world examples and applications, making the concepts more relatable and practical.

5. Is "Callen: Thermodynamics (general fail)" still relevant in modern times?

Yes, "Callen: Thermodynamics (general fail)" is still considered a classic and highly relevant textbook in the field of thermodynamics. While it was first published in 1960, the fundamental principles and laws of thermodynamics have not changed and the book continues to be used in universities and research institutions around the world.