Calorie to Joules: Understanding the Fundamentals

• Thread starter Dunce
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Joules
In summary: PERE VOLT SECOND is a unit of energy equal to the amount of electrical energy transferred by a current of 1 ampere for a period of 1 second.In summary, the conversation is discussing the conversion of energy between joules and calories and the understanding of the fundamentals behind it. The individual is having difficulty understanding how temperature relates to work and how the mechanical equivalent of heat can be experimentally shown. One way to do this is by passing an electric current through a heating coil and measuring the energy transferred to the water.
Dunce
I can find the conversion easy enough, but I want to understand the fundamentals behind it. How do we KNOW that 4.184 J are in a cal? I'm learning thermodynamics and my book neglects to mention this(yet), and I'm getting hung up on it.

I am having difficulty understanding how temperature translates into work this way. Temperature is the average kinetic energy of the system, I can see how they are related, but I'm just not understanding how you can experimentally show that 4.184 kg m2/s2 would raise the temperature of 1g of water 1°C.

Physics news on Phys.org
Dunce said:
I can find the conversion easy enough, but I want to understand the fundamentals behind it. How do we KNOW that 4.184 J are in a cal? I'm learning thermodynamics and my book neglects to mention this(yet), and I'm getting hung up on it.

I am having difficulty understanding how temperature translates into work this way. Temperature is the average kinetic energy of the system, I can see how they are related, but I'm just not understanding how you can experimentally show that 4.184 kg m2/s2 would raise the temperature of 1g of water 1°C.
Temperature is a statistical average of the translational kinetic energy of the molecules.

One way to do this would be to pass an electric current through a heating coil to heat water. That is what your kettle does. If you pass 1 ampere at 120 volts through the coil for 1 second, you will add 120 J. to the water. If you also have an ammeter and a measuring cup you should be able to do the experiment with your own kettle.

AM

Related to Calorie to Joules: Understanding the Fundamentals

1. What is the conversion factor between calories and joules?

The conversion factor between calories and joules is 4.184, meaning that one calorie is equal to 4.184 joules.

2. Why is it important to understand the fundamentals of converting calories to joules?

Understanding the fundamentals of converting calories to joules is important because it allows us to accurately measure and compare the energy content of different foods and other sources of energy. It also helps us understand the energy balance in our bodies and how it relates to our health and well-being.

3. Can the conversion between calories and joules vary for different types of food?

Yes, the conversion between calories and joules can vary for different types of food. This is because the energy content of food is determined by its macronutrient composition (i.e. carbohydrates, fats, and proteins) and different macronutrients have different energy densities.

4. How do I convert a food's calorie content to joules?

To convert a food's calorie content to joules, simply multiply the number of calories by 4.184. For example, if a food has 100 calories, the conversion to joules would be 100 x 4.184 = 418.4 joules.

5. Is there a difference between "small calories" and "large calories" when converting to joules?

Yes, there is a difference between "small calories" (cal) and "large calories" (Cal) when converting to joules. "Small calories" are typically used to measure the energy content of food, while "large calories" are commonly used in chemistry and physics. 1 large calorie is equal to 1 kilocalorie (1 Cal = 1 kcal = 1000 cal). Therefore, when converting to joules, it is important to use the correct unit of measurement based on the context.