Calorimetry Problem, calculating the specific heat of a unknown substance

In summary, a 500.0-g chunk of unknown metal is quickly dropped into an insulating Styrofoam beaker containing 1.00 kg of water at room temperature (20.0 C). After waiting and stirring for 5.00 minutes, the water's temperature reaches a constant value of 22.0 C. By assuming that the styrofoam absorbs a negligibly small amount of heat and that no heat was lost to the surroundings, the specific heat of the metal can be calculated using the equations Q=m c ΔT and Q(metal)=-Q(water). The system has reached equilibrium and the temperature of the metal can be calculated by equating the heat gained by the water to the heat
klawlor419

Homework Statement

A 500.0-g chunk of unknown metal, which has been in boiling water for several minutes, is quickly dropped into an insulating Styrofoam beaker containing 1.00 kg of water at room temperature (20.0 C). After waiting and stirring for 5.00 minutes, you observe that the water's temperature has reached a constant value of 22.0 C.

(a) Assuming that the styrofoam absorbs a negligibly small amount of heat and that no heat was lost to the surroundings, what is the specific heat of the metal?

parts (b) and (c) are separate easier questions, not relevant to (a).

Homework Equations

Q=m c ΔT
Q(metal)=-Q(water)

Temp boiling water, 100 C, specific heat of water, 4190 J/kg-C

The Attempt at a Solution

First I solved to find the heat absorbed by the water from the metal, in order to raise the temperature of the water 2 C. Secondly, with the assumptions made in the problem, I assume that the heat gained by the water is exactly that lost by the metal. Equating these terms and getting an equation for the specific heat has a problem, which is that I don't know ΔT for the metal. I am sure I am missing something simple, but I can't get around this term ΔT for the metal.

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming that the system has reached equilibrium (after all, the water temperature is said to have reached a constant temperature...), what temperature must the metal have?

Ah, thanks. That was simple

Related to Calorimetry Problem, calculating the specific heat of a unknown substance

What is calorimetry and why is it used in science?

Calorimetry is the measurement of the amount of heat in a chemical reaction or physical process. It is used in science to determine the specific heat of substances, which is important in understanding how substances behave under different conditions.

What is the specific heat of a substance and how is it calculated?

The specific heat of a substance is the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of one gram of the substance by one degree Celsius. It is calculated by dividing the heat gained or lost by the change in temperature and mass of the substance.

Why is it important to calculate the specific heat of an unknown substance?

Calculating the specific heat of an unknown substance is important because it helps identify the substance and understand its properties, such as its behavior under different temperatures and its ability to store or release heat.

What are the steps involved in solving a calorimetry problem to calculate the specific heat of an unknown substance?

The steps involved in solving a calorimetry problem are: determining the initial and final temperature of the system, calculating the change in temperature, calculating the heat gained or lost by the system, and finally, using the specific heat equation to solve for the specific heat of the unknown substance.

What are some common sources of error when solving a calorimetry problem and how can they be minimized?

Some common sources of error when solving a calorimetry problem include heat loss or gain to the surroundings, incomplete mixing of substances, and heat loss due to evaporation. These can be minimized by using well-insulated containers, stirring the substances thoroughly, and covering the containers to prevent evaporation.