Calorimetry - respiration action

• Thread starter shad0w0f3vil
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calorimetry
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of calorimetry and the use of potato chips to measure energy production. The confusion lies in the respiration reaction and the use of starch as a substitute for glucose. It is explained that the breakdown of starch has a high activation energy and requires a flame in the absence of enzymes. The breakdown of glucose and its metabolism occur in multiple steps, allowing for efficient release of energy. The conversation also touches on the metabolism of fatty acids and amino acids.
shad0w0f3vil
Hi there,

I currently have an assignment on calorimetry. I chose to burn different kinds of potato chips and measure the energy that they produce. I am now in the process of writing up my report and I am struggling to understand the respiration reaction.

The most common type of carbohydrate in a potato is starch. This is broken down into glucose through the digestive system, before been used in the respiration reaction to produce energy. What confuses me is that in a calirometer, there is no enzymes to break down the starch, so what is actually burning and releasing the energy?

I guess what I am trying to ask is can starch be substituted for glucose in the respiration reaction?

Secondly, why is there a flame if the respiration reaction occurs in humans and plants without them catching alight?

If someone could explain what is actually going on it would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

shad0w0f3vil

Physics news on Phys.org
Doesn't matter how you get from starch to CO2 and H2O, amount of energy produced is always the same.

The breakdown of starch has a somewhat high activation energy. In order to get over this energy barrier in the absence of enzymes, you need a flame. The enzymes in our body lower the activation energy of these processes, however, so that the thermal energy available at 37oC is sufficient to cross the barrier. Furthermore, the breakdown of starch into glucose and the metabolism of glucose occur in multiple steps (breaking the 6-carbon glucose into two 3-carbon molecules takes a total of 10 reactions). By having so many intermediate steps in the breakdown of glucose, the body can release the energy from the oxidation of glucose slowly and efficiently.

thanks very much, I understand a lot better now.

Also, are those 10 reactions available on the internet somewhere as my textbook doesn't cover it.

thanks

my teacher also told me that fatty acids and amino acids would also burn. do these undergo a respiration reaction too?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatty_acid_metabolism"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protein_catabolism"

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks Mike H

Related to Calorimetry - respiration action

1. What is calorimetry and how is it related to respiration action?

Calorimetry is the scientific measurement of heat transfer. In the context of respiration action, it is used to measure the amount of heat released or absorbed during the metabolic process of breaking down food into energy.

2. What is the purpose of performing calorimetry on respiration action?

The purpose of performing calorimetry on respiration action is to determine the amount of energy produced by an organism during cellular respiration. This can help scientists understand the efficiency of an organism's metabolism and the amount of energy available for growth and other biological processes.

3. How is calorimetry used to study respiration action?

Calorimetry is used to study respiration action by measuring the heat released or absorbed by an organism in a controlled environment. This can be done by placing the organism in a sealed container called a calorimeter and measuring the change in temperature over a period of time.

4. What factors can affect the results of calorimetry in respiration action?

There are several factors that can affect the results of calorimetry in respiration action. These include the type and amount of food consumed, the metabolic rate of the organism, and the environmental conditions such as temperature and humidity. It is important to control these factors in order to obtain accurate results.

5. What are the potential applications of using calorimetry in respiration action?

The potential applications of using calorimetry in respiration action are vast. This technique can be used to study the metabolism and energy production of different organisms, to understand the effects of different diets and environmental conditions on respiration action, and to develop more efficient and sustainable methods of food production and energy usage.