Calucating the solubility product of Silver Chloride

In summary, the problem involves determining the solubility product of AgCl after a sample of AgCl is treated with 5ml of 2M Na2CO3 solution to produce Ag2CO3. The remaining solution has a concentration of 0.003 g Cl- per litre, and the Ksp of Ag2CO3 is given as 8.2 ×10-12. After some calculations, the solubility product of AgCl is determined to be 1.073 x 10-8. The given concentration and volume of Na2CO3 may have been included as a hint or to provide more context to the problem.
aati2sh

Homework Statement

A sample of AgCl was treated with 5ml of 2M Na2CO3 solution to produce Ag2CO3. The remaining solution contained 0.003 g of Cl- per litre. Calculate the solubility product of AgCl.(Ksp of Ag2CO3 = 8.2 ×10-12)

Homework Equations

ksp of AgCl = [Ag+]×[Cl-]
ksp of Ag2CO3 = [2Ag+]2×[CO3--]

The Attempt at a Solution

I couldn't think of any idea. So, entered this forum. Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you calculate concentration of Cl-?

There was a huge excess of carbonate. Did it concentration change much?

Yes. I calculated the concentration by dividing gm/litre by 35.5 to give molarity. But, I don't know where to go beyond.

I asked you a question, have you tried to answer it?

I don't know how to start.

Try to describe what is happening in the solution when the carbonate is added.

I tried this:
Ksp of Ag2CO3 = [2xSolub.]2x[Solub.]
=> Solubility = 1.270334x10-4 = [Ag+]
Now,
[Cl-]=0.003/35.5 M = 8.45 x 10-5
Ksp of AgCl = 1.270334x10-4 x 8.45 x 10-5 = 1.073 X 10-8.

Why was concentration and volume of Na2CO3 was given if this is correct?

Related to Calucating the solubility product of Silver Chloride

1. What is the formula for calculating the solubility product of Silver Chloride?

The formula for calculating the solubility product of Silver Chloride is Ksp = [Ag+][Cl-], where [Ag+] represents the concentration of silver ions and [Cl-] represents the concentration of chloride ions.

2. What is the significance of calculating the solubility product of Silver Chloride?

Calculating the solubility product of Silver Chloride allows us to determine the maximum amount of Silver Chloride that can dissolve in a solution at a given temperature. This information is important in understanding the solubility and stability of Silver Chloride in various environments.

3. How does temperature affect the solubility product of Silver Chloride?

As a general rule, the solubility product of most ionic compounds, including Silver Chloride, increases with an increase in temperature. This means that more Silver Chloride can dissolve in a solution at higher temperatures.

4. What factors influence the solubility of Silver Chloride?

The solubility of Silver Chloride is influenced by factors such as temperature, pH, and the presence of other ions in the solution. For example, increasing the concentration of chloride ions in a solution can decrease the solubility of Silver Chloride.

5. How is the solubility product of Silver Chloride experimentally determined?

The solubility product of Silver Chloride can be experimentally determined by measuring the concentration of silver and chloride ions in a saturated solution of Silver Chloride at a given temperature. This data is then used in the formula Ksp = [Ag+][Cl-] to calculate the solubility product.