Calulate Acceleration from Friction

F=ma=(0-20)/t then i got (0-20)/t=-3479 then i get t= -20/-3479 t= .00576 In summary, the size and direction of the acceleration of the car would be -4.9 m/s^2 and it would be constant due to the coefficient of sliding friction between the tires and pavement. Using the formula F=ma, the calculated force of friction is -3479N, and dividing this by the mass of the car (710kg), we can determine the acceleration to be -4.9 m/s^2. The velocity information is not necessary to calculate the acceleration.
halo9909

Homework Statement

What would be the size and direction of the acceleration of the car? Why would it be constant?

The coefficient of sliding friction between rubber tires and wet pavement is 0.50. The brakes are applied to a 710-kg car traveling 20 m/s, and the car skids to a stop.

So
m=710kg
vi=20
vf=0
Coefficient Slideing friction=.50
a=

Homework Equations

to get the Ff= .50 * 710kg * -9.8 = -3479

The Attempt at a Solution

I have calulated the Force of the friction that the road exerts on the car which is -3479N

From here how wouldyou go about ot calculate the acceleration? since ou do not have dispalcement or time

Physics news on Phys.org
Remember, F=ma, so a = F/m. You have F and you have m. The velocity information seems superfluous here.

Negative signs can make a little error, I had 4.9 instead of -4.9 the whole the

never really thought of a=F/m i just plug all of them into the F=ma in the base form

Related to Calulate Acceleration from Friction

1. What is friction?

Friction is a force that opposes the motion of an object when it comes into contact with another object or surface.

2. How does friction affect acceleration?

Friction acts in the opposite direction of the applied force, which reduces the net force and therefore the acceleration of the object.

3. How do you calculate acceleration from friction?

To calculate acceleration from friction, you need to know the mass of the object, the coefficient of friction, and the applied force. You can then use the formula a = Fnet/m to find the acceleration, where Fnet is the net force and m is the mass of the object.

4. What is the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction is a value that represents the amount of friction between two surfaces. It is a dimensionless number and is dependent on the materials and conditions of the surfaces in contact.

5. How can you reduce the effects of friction on acceleration?

The effects of friction on acceleration can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, between the surfaces in contact. Additionally, using smoother surfaces or reducing the weight of the object can also decrease the amount of friction and increase acceleration.