Cameron V 's question at Yahoo Answers (Equality of linear maps)

• MHB
  • Thread starter Fernando Revilla
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Linear
In summary, the question asks to prove that if two linear transformations, L1 and L2, map a basis of a vector space V into the same vector space W, then L1 is equal to L2. This can be shown by considering both directions of the implication and utilizing the fact that a basis can be used to express any vector in the vector space.
Fernando Revilla
Gold Member
MHB
Here is the question:

Prove:
for each i = 1, 2, ... n
than L1(vi) = L2(vi)
only if L1 = L2

I can this of the concept in my head and I think I understand it but I am having trouble actually putting the proof on paper. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

Here is a link to the question:

{v1, v2, ... , vn} is a basis for V. L1 and L2 are two linear transformations mapping V into a vectorspace W.? - Yahoo! Answers

I have posted a link there to this topic so the OP can find my response.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello Cameron V,

If $L_1=L_2$, trivially $L_1(v_i)=L_2(v_i)$ for all $i=1,\ldots,n$. On the other hand if $L_1(v_i)=L_2(v_i)$ for all $i=1,\ldots,n$, choose a generic $x\in V$. As $\{v_1,\ldots,v_n\}$ is a basis of $V$, $x=\alpha_1+\ldots +\alpha_n v_n$ for some scalars $\alpha_1,\ldots,\alpha_n$. Then, for all $x\in V$: $$\begin{aligned}L_1(x)&=L_1(\alpha_1v_1+\ldots +\alpha_n v_n)\\&=\alpha_1L_1(v_1)+\ldots +\alpha_n L_1(v_n)\\&=\alpha_1L_2(v_1)+\ldots +\alpha_n L_2(v_n)\\&=L_2(\alpha_1v_1+\ldots +\alpha_n v_n)\\&=L_2(x)\\&\Rightarrow L_1=L_2\end{aligned}$$ If you have further questions, you can post them in the http://www.mathhelpboards.com/f14/ section.

Related to Cameron V 's question at Yahoo Answers (Equality of linear maps)

1. What is the definition of linear maps?

Linear maps, also known as linear transformations, are functions between vector spaces that preserve the operations of vector addition and scalar multiplication. In other words, the output of a linear map is always a linear combination of its input vectors.

2. How do you prove the equality of two linear maps?

To prove the equality of two linear maps, you must show that they produce the same output for every input vector. This can be done by using the properties of linear maps, such as linearity and preservation of operations, to manipulate the inputs and outputs of the maps.

3. What are some common properties of linear maps?

Some common properties of linear maps include linearity (i.e. the map preserves scalar multiplication and vector addition), preservation of operations (i.e. the map produces the same result for the same operation on different vectors), and the existence of a zero vector (i.e. the map sends the zero vector to itself).

4. Can two linear maps be equal if they have different domains or codomains?

No, two linear maps cannot be equal if they have different domains or codomains. In order for two maps to be equal, they must have the same input and output spaces. If the domains or codomains are different, then the maps are fundamentally different and cannot be considered equal.

5. How do linear maps relate to matrices?

Linear maps can be represented by matrices, and vice versa. The columns of the matrix correspond to the images of the basis vectors of the input space, while the rows correspond to the coefficients of the linear combination used to transform the input vectors into output vectors. This allows for the use of matrix operations to manipulate and analyze linear maps.