Can 1 1/4 NPT Thread Hold 10,000 PSI?

• Thread starter barvas11
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Psi Thread
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation for NPT threads and their ability to hold pressure. The speaker believes that there is no need to do the calculation as NPT threads are able to hold high pressure. The conversation also touches on the difference between low and high pressure NPT threads and the limitations of fittings based on their overall dimensions. The ASME B16.11 standard is mentioned as a reference for pressure ratings of threaded fittings. The conversation also mentions the practice of derating pipes with threaded ends and the use of a safety factor when dealing with pressurized systems.
barvas11
Hi Guys,
My friend is asking me to do the calculation for NPT thread. He is asking if 1 1/4 NPT thread is able to hold 10 000Psi pressure acting on it.
In my opinion there is no need to do the calculation for the thread. Of course it will hold it.
Don't quote me on this but I think that there is no difference in the way how low and high pressure npt threads are cut. High pressure fittings are more bulky due to pressure.
What are your thoughts?

Engineering news on Phys.org
NPT generally refers to the US style tapered thread. There is a European counterpart with both tapered and straight thread design. I presume you mean the US type.

In general, the fitting isn't limited by the thread, it is limited by the overall dimensions of the fitting. Pipe fittings can be made to almost any standard including one that the supplier comes up with, so for any pipe thread fitting you need to verify the pressure rating with the supplier or to a recognized standard. The US standard that would generally cover these is ASME B16.11. That standard states that a class 6000 threaded fitting is equal to a Sched. XXS pipe in the size given. So for a 1-1/4", Class 6000 fitting built to ASME B16.11, the fitting pressure rating is equal to a 1-1/4" pipe, schedule XXS. Depending on material, it could have a pressure rating of 10,000 psi, but you would have to check. Note it is also a function of the temperature the fitting will be operated at.

Hi Thanks,
That makes sense. Pressure rating of the pipe = pressure rating of the thread when it comes to NPT threads.

Some people/companies/industries will derate a pipe with a threaded end because the threads have removed material which would otherwise be used to resist hoop and axial stress. I don't know how common that is throughout industry, but our company does that. In fact, our company doesn't allow pipe less than sched 80 to be threaded. Thinner walled pipe must be welded. Note also that the piping codes require that you take wall tolerance into account when determining pressure rating.

Yeah those scheduled pipes are not accurate but we always apply 1.5 safety factor to anything that is under pressure.

Related to Can 1 1/4 NPT Thread Hold 10,000 PSI?

1. How much pressure can a 1 1/4 NPT thread hold?

A 1 1/4 NPT (National Pipe Thread) thread can hold up to 10,000 pounds per square inch (PSI) of pressure. This pressure limit is based on the standard pressure ratings for NPT threads, which is determined by the American National Standards Institute (ANSI).

2. What is the maximum pressure rating for a 1 1/4 NPT thread?

The maximum pressure rating for a 1 1/4 NPT thread is 10,000 PSI. This is the standard pressure rating set by ANSI for NPT threads of this size.

3. Can a 1 1/4 NPT thread hold more than 10,000 PSI?

No, the maximum pressure rating for a 1 1/4 NPT thread is 10,000 PSI. Exceeding this pressure limit can cause the thread to fail and potentially lead to leaks or other safety hazards.

4. What factors affect the pressure rating of a 1 1/4 NPT thread?

The pressure rating of a 1 1/4 NPT thread is determined by several factors, including the material and dimensions of the thread, the type and size of the fitting it is attached to, and the quality of the thread's manufacturing and installation. Any deviations or defects in these factors can affect the thread's ability to hold pressure.

5. Is there a difference in pressure rating between male and female 1 1/4 NPT threads?

No, the pressure rating for 1 1/4 NPT threads is the same for both male and female threads. However, it is important to ensure that the male and female threads match and are properly tightened to prevent any leaks or failures due to mismatched threads.