Can a 60 cm Guitar String Reach Frequencies Up to 20 kHz?

• Thread starter sowmit
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a homework problem involving a 60 cm guitar string under a tension of 50.000N and a mass per unit length of 0.100 g/cm. The question is asking for the highest resonant frequency that can be heard by a person capable of hearing frequencies up to 20000 HZ. The relevant equations for this problem are given, but the student is unsure how to find the value of n in the equation. They ask for help, and another person suggests using the floor function to find the highest integer value that would not make f>20,000. The student also clarifies that this is not a final exam, but a homework problem set worth 15% of their grade,
sowmit

Homework Statement

A 60 cm guitar string under a tension of 50.000N has a mass per unit length of 0.100 g/cm. What is the highest resonant frequency that can be heard by a person capable of hearing frequencies up to 20000 HZ?

Homework Equations

f= n/2L * sqrt(F/ greek letter mu)

wavelength = velocity/ frequency. ([tex]\lambda[/tex]= v*f)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have mu = .100g/cm = .01 kg/m
f= 20000 HZ (not sure if this applies)
L= 60 cm = .6m

When I use,
f= n/2L * sqrt(F/ greek letter mu), I don't have n and I don't know how to find it.

Soneone please help. It's part of my final and worth 15 points. That's a letter grade. The answer is 19 khz or .019 hz.

Physics news on Phys.org
n is the highest integer that would not make f>20,000

But I am not sure how to find it. Anyhelp?

isolate the frequency equation you have for n, find what n you get by setting 20.000 Hz for f, then take the floor of that n (so if you get 2.92344 use n = 2).

n must be an integer, so if you are given a frequency your equations allow you to check if it is a resonance frequency. Is 20,000 Hz a resonance frequency? What does this tell you about n?

sowmit said:

Homework Statement

A 60 cm guitar string under a tension of 50.000N has a mass per unit length of 0.100 g/cm. What is the highest resonant frequency that can be heard by a person capable of hearing frequencies up to 20000 HZ?

Homework Equations

f= n/2L * sqrt(F/ greek letter mu)

wavelength = velocity/ frequency. ([tex]\lambda[/tex]= v*f)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have mu = .100g/cm = .01 kg/m
f= 20000 HZ (not sure if this applies)
L= 60 cm = .6m

When I use,
f= n/2L * sqrt(F/ greek letter mu), I don't have n and I don't know how to find it.

Soneone please help. It's part of my final and worth 15 points. That's a letter grade. The answer is 19 khz or .019 hz.

You are asking for our help on your take-home final exam? Could you please PM me the contact information for your professor, so that I can check that s/he is okay with this?

Well it's not final exam. It's final homework problem set which is worth 15% of our grades. And this problem set is consisted of 4 homework problems and if I get one wrong, the whole 15% is gone. And you don't even have to ask him. All the students are allowed to get all the help they can in order to finish these problems. He even suggested us some solution book that I didn't buy just for doing 4 physics problems.

sowmit said:
Well it's not final exam. It's final homework problem set which is worth 15% of our grades. And this problem set is consisted of 4 homework problems and if I get one wrong, the whole 15% is gone. And you don't even have to ask him. All the students are allowed to get all the help they can in order to finish these problems. He even suggested us some solution book that I didn't buy just for doing 4 physics problems.

So far in this thread, I've seen zero effort by you to solve the question. You are just trolling for help. Post your attempt at a solution, and make it good. We do not do you schoolwork for you here.

Related to Can a 60 cm Guitar String Reach Frequencies Up to 20 kHz?

1. How can I improve my letter grade?

There are several steps you can take to improve your letter grade, such as attending all classes, completing assignments on time and seeking help from your teacher or tutor if needed. It may also be helpful to create a study schedule and prioritize your school work.

2. Can I still save my letter grade if I have a low test or assignment grade?

Yes, it is possible to save your letter grade even if you have a low test or assignment grade. You can try to make up for it by doing well on future assignments or exams, completing extra credit work if available, and communicating with your teacher about your academic progress.

3. How can I stay motivated to improve my letter grade?

Staying motivated can be challenging, but you can try setting achievable goals for yourself, rewarding yourself for meeting those goals, and reminding yourself of the benefits of getting a good letter grade, such as better opportunities in the future.

4. What should I do if I am struggling in a particular subject?

If you are struggling in a particular subject, it is important to seek help from your teacher, tutor, or classmates. You can also try studying with a group or using online resources to supplement your understanding of the subject material.

5. Is it too late to improve my letter grade if the semester is almost over?

No, it is never too late to try and improve your letter grade. You can still make an effort to do well on remaining assignments and exams, and communicate with your teacher about your academic progress. However, it is important to also reflect on your study habits and make changes for future semesters.