Can a Beam Condenser Focus a Laser to 0.048mm for Wave Measurement?

In summary: Ryleigh lenghtIt should be possible to reduce the beam diameter down to 48 microns with the He Ne laser, but I'm not so certain about the CO2 laser due to its long wavelength.
garydia1
Hi all, I'm a student at a mechanical engineering faculty, and I'm doing my final project now.

The purpose of the project is to built a sensor for measuring gravity-capillary waves in a wind-wave flume. The idea is to pass a laser beam from beneath of the aquarium through the aquarium bottom, through the wavy water, up to the air over the water and at the end the laser beam should point on a PSD (Position Sensetive Detector) which measures the X and Y deflections of the beam from the calibrated point over still water. Then I can use Snell law and various DSP to find the wave coeficient 'k' or waves wave lengh 'lamda', phase velocity 'C' etc...

As part of a project, I need to draw a circle with the laser beam (using a rotating mirror) with a diameter of 1.5mm over the water surface.
The smallest laser beam diameter I could find is 0.48mm and it's too big!
I'm going to use a NeHe 632.8nm 5mW or 10mW CW laser, and I thought to use a beam expander reversibly as a beam condenser, and here is the question:
Is it possible to pass a 0.48mm diameter laser beam through a beam condenser X10 to receive a 0.048 diameter laser beam without loosing the needed energy to pass through the perspex of the aquarium and the water, so the PSD will detect the beam?

Thank you for you attention,
Gary.

Physics news on Phys.org
It should be possible to reduce the beam diameter down to 48 microns with the He Ne laser, but I'm not so certain about the CO2 laser due to its long wavelength.

Claude.

Ryleigh lenght

Thanks,

now, if I condense a beam by 10 times it will reduse the ryleigh length and depth of focus by 100 times, what should I do to prevent it?

Unfortunately there is not a whole lot you can do without introducing additional optics. Delivering light to the target via optic fibre can eliminate problems with depth of field, however it has the obvious disadvantage of no longer being a free-space delivery. Special objectives and collimators can also work to reduce this problem, but you then have the disadvantage of making your system less robust due to the degree of beam aligning that needs to be done.

Claude.

Related to Can a Beam Condenser Focus a Laser to 0.048mm for Wave Measurement?

What is the first step in getting help with my university project?

The first step in getting help with your university project is to clearly identify what you need help with. Make a list of specific areas or tasks that you are struggling with. This will help you communicate your needs effectively to potential sources of help.

Who can I ask for help with my university project?

There are a few different sources you can turn to for help with your university project. These may include your professor, teaching assistants, classmates, or tutors. You may also consider reaching out to online forums or academic writing centers for assistance.

How can I ensure that I am getting the best help for my university project?

The best way to ensure that you are receiving the most effective help for your university project is to be clear and specific about your needs. Provide your helper with all relevant information and ask questions if you do not understand something. It is also important to actively engage in the process and take responsibility for your own learning.

What should I do if I am struggling with my university project but do not want to ask for help?

If you are hesitant to ask for help with your university project, consider seeking out resources such as study groups, writing centers, or online tutorials. You can also try breaking down your project into smaller, more manageable tasks and setting a schedule for completing them. Additionally, make sure to take care of your physical and mental well-being as this can greatly impact your ability to work on your project.

What are some strategies for managing my university project to avoid needing extra help?

To avoid needing extra help with your university project, it can be helpful to start early and break the project into smaller tasks. Set a schedule for yourself and stick to it, making sure to allocate time for breaks and self-care. It is also important to communicate with your professor or teaching assistant if you are struggling, as they may be able to provide guidance and resources to help you stay on track.