Can a charged capacitor turn a permanent magnet into an electromagnet?

• Thread starter Diamond Dave
  • Start date
Diamond Dave
I was once out strolling one very hot summer's day
When I thought I'd lay myself down to rest in a bit field of tall grass
I lay there in the sun and felt it caressing my face
As I fell asleep and dreamed
I dreamed, I was in a Hollywood movie
And that I was the star of the movie, this really blew my mind
The fact that me, an overfed, long-haired, leaping gnome
Should be the star of a Hollywood movie, but there I was
I was taken to a place, the hall of the mountain kings
******************************************************************************Just to set the stage of my intro the lyrics above depicts a parallel journey I took down the cyber highway of being intrigued by numbers I am Tool&Die Maker by trade and I have always used numbers and never really thought about them other than another tool of my trade. Many years of taking numbers for granted. But now thanks to :-) Al Gore inventing the Internet [FONT=PT Sans, sans-serif]I feel like I might have missed my calling in life. A rewarding victory feeling to solving math puzzles. Almost to the point of being labeled has having Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder. Long story short it started with a chess board and 1 piece of the chess set the Knight it moves in a "L" pattern. And I thought how cool would it be to hit every square once without hitting the same square twice starting in the knights natural position mark a 1 in the square move down two squares and left one square and mark a 2 in the square. It took me 3 months to solve it, and when I did... it was 3 mathematical patterns that was the key to solving the
puzzle. The next thing I got hooked on was magnets, permanent magnets and electromagnets. It seems the more I explore the
[/FONT]deeper I dig myself in a hole almost as if I was taken to a place, the hall of the mountain kings known as Physics Forum. For the few people that have made to this point and are not asleep, please allow me to ask this question: If you attach a charged capacitor to a permanent magnet does it change it to an electromagnet?

Physics news on Phys.org
Diamond Dave said:
If you attach a charged capacitor to a permanent magnet does it change it to an electromagnet?
Dave,

Welcome to Physics Forums. The people who can answer this for you aren't likely to be looking in the new member introductions forum. If you post your question in an area like the General Physics Forum, you'll have a better chance at getting your question answered.

Back