Can a continuously running GC be used for space exploration?

• Thread starter flatmaster
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probes
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of gas chromatography in the Pioneer Venus2 mission and the possibility of creating a continuously running or pulsed GC. The speaker wonders how the probes were able to quickly and accurately collect and transmit data without sacrificing resolution, suggesting the use of additional columns or alternative instrumentation.
flatmaster
I'm intreaged by our history of space exploration. On Pioner Venus2, four sacrificial probes were sent through the Venusian atmosphere while they quickly streamed back their data to the orbitor. They were destroyed when impacting the surface. One of the devices on the probes was a gas chromatagraph. The gas chromatagraph I know of can only take a given sample of gas, and determines the identity of the gas by the amount of time it takes for that gas to travel through the column.

My question is can you make a continusly running or plused GC? I assume you could make a really short column, but this would reduce your resolution on the time-in-column measurement.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Perhaps adding a few more columns in series could help with this, or perhaps some other type of instrumentation. I'm just curious as to how the Pioneers were able to get their data back quickly and accurately without sacrificing resolution.

Related to Can a continuously running GC be used for space exploration?

1. What is GC on Pioneer Venus probes?

GC (Gas Chromatography) on Pioneer Venus probes is a scientific instrument used to analyze the chemical composition of the atmosphere of Venus. It was used on the Pioneer Venus spacecraft in the late 1970s and early 1980s.

2. How does GC on Pioneer Venus probes work?

The GC instrument on Pioneer Venus probes works by separating and identifying different chemical compounds in the atmosphere of Venus. It does this by vaporizing a sample of the atmosphere and then passing it through a column filled with a stationary phase. As the sample moves through the column, the different compounds are separated based on their molecular weight and other chemical properties.

3. What information can be gathered from GC on Pioneer Venus probes?

GC on Pioneer Venus probes can provide information about the chemical composition of the Venusian atmosphere, including the abundance of different gases such as carbon dioxide, nitrogen, and sulfur compounds. It can also help identify trace gases and pollutants present in the atmosphere.

4. Why is GC on Pioneer Venus probes important?

GC on Pioneer Venus probes is important because it allows scientists to gain a better understanding of the atmospheric chemistry of Venus. This information can help us to understand the evolution and dynamics of the planet's atmosphere, as well as its potential habitability.

5. Are there any limitations to GC on Pioneer Venus probes?

Yes, there are some limitations to GC on Pioneer Venus probes. For example, the instrument may not be able to detect certain compounds that are present in very low concentrations, and it may not be able to distinguish between different isomers (compounds with the same chemical formula but different structures). Additionally, the instrument was only used on the Pioneer Venus probes and has not been used on any subsequent missions to Venus.