Can a CS Major and Astronomy Minor Lead to a Career in Space Exploration?

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's aspiration to work in the space exploration field using computer science and astronomy knowledge. They question the feasibility of this goal and consider a minor in physics or a focus on embedded systems and electrical engineering. The issue of security clearance and contracting is also mentioned.
NickPhysics
One day I aspire to work in the space exploration(or something similar) field using Computer Science skills, and my knowledge in Astronomy. Is this realistic? Or would a minor in Physics be better for trying to achieve the same goal?

I plan to attend the University of Utah if the makes a difference.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey NickPhysics.

Given your interest in computer science, if I were to give advice I would say to look at embedded systems and possibly consider looking at electrical engineering with a significant programming component since the systems used out in space (for whatever purpose) will be ones that need extremely high fault tolerance specifications at both a hardware and a software level.

You will also want to look at the issues with security clearance and contracting particularly in the defence sector (in addition to the civilian one).

FAQ: Can a CS Major and Astronomy Minor Lead to a Career in Space Exploration?

1. What is a CS Major and Astronomy Minor?

A CS Major and Astronomy Minor is an academic program that combines the study of computer science with the study of astronomy. A CS Major typically focuses on the theory and application of computer systems and software, while an Astronomy Minor focuses on the study of celestial objects and phenomena.

2. What are the benefits of pursuing a CS Major and Astronomy Minor?

Combining a CS Major with an Astronomy Minor allows for a well-rounded education in both technical and scientific fields. It can also open up career opportunities in fields such as astrophysics, aerospace engineering, and data science.

3. What courses are typically required for a CS Major and Astronomy Minor?

The specific courses required for a CS Major and Astronomy Minor may vary depending on the university, but common courses include computer programming, data structures, algorithms, astronomy, and astrophysics. Some programs may also require courses in mathematics and physics.

4. Is it possible to double major in Computer Science and Astronomy?

Yes, it is possible to double major in Computer Science and Astronomy. However, it may require a heavy course load and careful planning to complete both majors within the typical four-year undergraduate program.

5. What career paths can I pursue with a CS Major and Astronomy Minor?

With a CS Major and Astronomy Minor, you can pursue careers in fields such as software development, data analysis, research in astrophysics and astronomy, and aerospace engineering. You may also have opportunities to work at government agencies such as NASA or private companies in the space industry.