Can a Gear / Vane pump be used for pumping a gas?

In summary: A gear pump works on the principle of a vane pump, but the vane is attached to a gear, which turns with a shaft. This type of pump is used to transfer liquid or gas between two separate chambers. A Roots supercharger is a type of forced induction engine that uses a gear pump to increase the engine's power. Mazda's rotary engine is powered by a crankshaft that turns a series of pistons.
Xyius
I have become quite interested in pump physics recently.

I do a lot of work on cars, this includes work on automatic transmissions. Two main types of pumps I see inside an automatic transmission are the gear pump and the rotary vane pump. In a transmission these pump fluid (also a cars oil pump is typically a gear pump which also pumps fluid)

My question is, how would these pumps fair in pumping a GAS instead of a liquid? Would they work?

My guess is they would work but may need to run at a higher RPM to account for the fact that gasses compress a great deal.

Can anyone provide any insight?

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to answer!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Liquid pumps are not ideal for pumping gases. The liquids which these pumps work with also provide lubrication for the moving parts of the pump. When the liquid is replaced by a gas, you no longer have any lubrication, and the life of the pump is shortened considerably. If you run these pumps at higher RPM in order to pump the gas, the moving parts will wear out even faster.

Think about what happens when you try to pump the liquid out of a tank. When the liquid falls below a certain level at the pump suction, air is introduced into the pump and pretty soon, the pump pumps neither liquid nor air very well.

For moving small flows of gas, like in a lab, diaphragm pumps are pretty popular. For moving larger flows of gas, like sending natural gas from a well across state to a city for a utility, compressor stations are placed at intervals along the pipeline, to compress the natural gas and then let it flow and expand until it reaches the next compressor station.

SteamKing said:
Liquid pumps are not ideal for pumping gases. The liquids which these pumps work with also provide lubrication for the moving parts of the pump. When the liquid is replaced by a gas, you no longer have any lubrication, and the life of the pump is shortened considerably. If you run these pumps at higher RPM in order to pump the gas, the moving parts will wear out even faster.

Think about what happens when you try to pump the liquid out of a tank. When the liquid falls below a certain level at the pump suction, air is introduced into the pump and pretty soon, the pump pumps neither liquid nor air very well.

For moving small flows of gas, like in a lab, diaphragm pumps are pretty popular. For moving larger flows of gas, like sending natural gas from a well across state to a city for a utility, compressor stations are placed at intervals along the pipeline, to compress the natural gas and then let it flow and expand until it reaches the next compressor station.

Ah that makes sense! Thanks for your response! I think that was all I was looking for. :D

While I'd generally agree with SteamKing, I'd point out that vane type machines are used quite a bit for gasses. They're used for both vacuum and compression but only to relatively low pressure (ie: less than 100 psi). I haven't ever seen a true "gear pump" used for gas though. The problem with both of these designs is sealing the ends of the rotating vane or gear. The vane can seal fine on the circumference but not so well at either end. Gears don't seal well at all so they are generally limited to liquids. What you'll find is that every style of compressor or pump has a market niche that it does well in based on performance, longevity and economics. These are all very general statements - you'll find considerable overlap in the markets for each type of compressor or pump.

Vane superchargers have been used on cars.

If a roots supercharger is not the same as a gear pump, it looks a lot like it:

http://www.turbochargerexplained.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/roots_action-262x300.jpg
29966450131c16cb029dd6c82195107b84377f98_large.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Dr.D and Q_Goest
Isn't this similar to mazdas rotary engine?

Not even close, other than both contain rotating components.

Related to Can a Gear / Vane pump be used for pumping a gas?

1. Can a gear/vane pump be used for pumping a gas?

Yes, gear and vane pumps can be used for pumping a gas. These types of pumps are commonly used for pumping liquids, but they can also be used for gases with the proper modifications and design considerations.

2. What modifications are needed to use a gear/vane pump for pumping a gas?

The main modification needed for using a gear or vane pump for pumping a gas is to seal the pump to prevent gas leakage. This can be achieved through the use of specialized seals and gaskets, as well as designing the pump with a tighter tolerance to reduce internal gas leakage.

3. Are there any limitations to using a gear/vane pump for pumping a gas?

Yes, there are some limitations to using a gear or vane pump for pumping a gas. These pumps are typically not suitable for pumping gases that are highly corrosive, abrasive, or have a high vapor pressure. Additionally, the flow rate and pressure capabilities may be limited compared to pumps specifically designed for pumping gases.

4. What types of gases can be pumped using a gear/vane pump?

A gear or vane pump can be used to pump a wide range of gases, including air, natural gas, carbon dioxide, nitrogen, and many others. The type of gas being pumped will determine the necessary modifications and design considerations for the pump.

5. What are the advantages of using a gear/vane pump for pumping a gas?

One of the main advantages of using a gear or vane pump for pumping a gas is their relatively simple design and low maintenance requirements. These pumps also have a compact size and can handle a wide range of viscosities, making them suitable for a variety of gas pumping applications.