Can a Late Start in Education Lead to a Career in Physics and Chemistry?

In summary, the conversation suggests that the individual is a 24-year-old male who dropped out of high school in 9th grade and is now pursuing a high school diploma through an online program at PennFoster. They plan on majoring in physics and chemistry in college and are currently taking courses such as General Math, Algebra, Calculus, Biology, Physical Science, General Science, and Chemistry through PennFoster. They are seeking advice on whether their current curriculum is a good focus for their intended field of study, with the suggestion to also take a precalculus course. The conversation also emphasizes the importance of not rushing into calculus and neglecting other foundational math courses.
CalebH91
Hello. I am a 24 yr old male who dropped out of HS in 9th grade i was young and dumb and all about partying at that time. Currently I am in school at PennFoster doing the online High School they offer in order to earn my High school Diploma then am going to college for physics chemistry biology and math my major will be physics poss. Double major phys/chem. The sciences and maths that i am dong through PennFoster is General Math 1 & 2 Algebra 1&2 Calculus Consumer Math Biology Physical scuence General Science and Chemistry i was wondering if that is a good focus so far high school curriculum wise when it comes to entering this field of study. Any advidce and feedback will be appreciated. PS i am doing this post via phone so i apologize in advance for any errors in it as i tend to mess up a lot when using a cell phone to type out anything.

Likes Kilo Vectors
Physics news on Phys.org
Usually a good course in precalculus is advisable. Sometimes, this course might be called advanced math or algebra 3 with trig.

It is usually a mistake to rush to calculus. Even if you succeed at calculus, a lot of math needed for physics in college is really pre-calc.

If your school does not offer it, take it online through ALEKS.

Likes gleem
Dr. Courtney said:
It is usually a mistake to rush to calculus. Even if you succeed at calculus, a lot of math needed for physics in college is really pre-calc.

Exactly. Especially today when Calculus is being taught routinely in HS. one may want to push forward too fast to get to the "good" stuff. But the battles of Calculus and Physics are often fought in the trenches of algebra/trigonometry. Not giving proper attention to them will bog you down

Likes Dr. Courtney
I wonder why, with the "algebra", "Calculus", etc., you would also take "Consumer Math" which is basically arithmetic intended for people who are not taking any "higher math".

Likes Dr. Courtney

Related to Can a Late Start in Education Lead to a Career in Physics and Chemistry?

1. What inspired you to become a physicist?

I have always been fascinated by the mysteries of the universe and how everything around us works. As a child, I would spend hours reading books about space and physics, and this curiosity only grew as I got older. I also had some amazing teachers who sparked my interest in science and encouraged me to pursue it as a career.

2. What kind of education and training do you need to become a physicist?

To become a physicist, you typically need a bachelor's degree in physics or a related field, followed by a graduate degree in physics or a specialized area of physics. This is often followed by postdoctoral research and additional training. It's also important to have a strong foundation in math and computer science.

3. What does a typical day in the life of a physicist look like?

A typical day for a physicist varies depending on their specific area of research and job responsibilities. It could involve conducting experiments, analyzing data, writing research papers, attending conferences and meetings, and collaborating with other scientists. Some physicists also teach and mentor students.

4. What are some common misconceptions about being a physicist?

One common misconception is that all physicists work in a laboratory setting. While some do, many others work in offices, classrooms, or even outdoors. Another misconception is that physicists only study theoretical concepts and are not involved in practical applications. In reality, physicists are often at the forefront of developing new technologies and solving real-world problems.

5. What advice do you have for someone interested in pursuing a career in physics?

My advice would be to never stop asking questions and seeking answers. Physics is a constantly evolving field, and the more you learn, the more you realize how much we still don't know. Also, don't be afraid to take risks and think outside the box – some of the greatest discoveries in physics have come from unconventional approaches. And most importantly, never lose your passion and curiosity for the subject.