Can a Late Starter in Physics Make a Significant Impact?

• Thread starter TheNoobie001
  • Start date
TheNoobie001
Hello everyone.

My name is Evan, and I am basically starting my journey down the road of physics. I simply have an Associates degree, and while others may look at this as a long road ahead and "ye of little knowledge" I prefer to see it as a good start and open to ALL interpretations, views, and ideas.

I am not your average student due to my age, I just turned 30, but that will not stand in my way. I have spent the last 10 years working in offshore oil industry and have experienced and learned quite a bit, which I would not trade for anything. Unfortunately, once you start working offshore and get some experience it is extremely difficult to leave, due to the high pay, but I have been setting myself up for years to make the transition back to school and the time has come.

I have always had a tremendous respect for the field of physics, and enjoy learning and thinking about the different things that I learn(within my range of understanding of course! )

My plan is to earn an undergrad in Mathematics, and Physics, before moving on to graduate work in physics. The reason for this is because I can earn my Math degree while still working offshore and once I am about a semester out from completing I can transition into a second-bachelors program to earn my Physics undergrad.

The areas that interest me are energy, gravity, and electromagnetism. However, I do not let this hinder my learning because the realm of physics as a whole fascinates me, and who knows.. I might find something else to peak my interest along my journey. I am also open to both experimental and theoretical academic/career choices.. after all I have some years before that decision needs to be made. So in the mean time I want to learn as much as I can, through both experimental research, as well as thought problems.

Feel free to give me any advice, criticism, kudos, or anything else you feel would be worth communicating to me!

Physics news on Phys.org
Greg Bernhardt said:
Welcome to PF!
Thank you Greg.