Can a Mistake in KVL Analysis Disprove a Fundamental Law?

• Thread starter sandy.bridge
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kvl
In summary, the conversation discusses the application of Kirchhoff's Voltage Law (KVL) in a circuit. The speaker initially gets inconsistent results when applying KVL around two different loops, leading them to question if they have disproved a fundamental law. However, they later realize their mistake and remember to account for a 10V drop across a diode in the circuit.
sandy.bridge
Here's my work. When I apply KVL around loop 1, I get +5V, but when I apply it around loop 2, I get -5, which is inconsistent with my first results?

Where am I going wrong, or have I disproved a fundamental law?

ya-1.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, my work got cut out. The bottom says: +V+5=0, V=-5

I only see one loop. And what's the diode and resistor on the left supposed to be indicating?

I had redrawn the network on the left and configured it to the form on the right. This is how my textbook deals with KVL.

Never mind. I figured it out. I entirely forgot that there is a 10V drop across the diode.

Last edited:

Related to Can a Mistake in KVL Analysis Disprove a Fundamental Law?

1. What is KVL and how does it apply to my experiments?

KVL stands for Kirchhoff's Voltage Law, which is a fundamental principle in circuit analysis. It states that the sum of all voltages around a closed loop in a circuit must equal zero, and it is used to calculate unknown voltages and currents in a circuit.

2. Can you explain KVL in simpler terms?

KVL simply means that the voltage going into a circuit must equal the voltage going out of the circuit. In other words, the total voltage in a closed loop is always zero.

3. Where do I apply KVL in my experiments?

KVL applies to any circuit that has a closed loop, meaning all components are connected in a continuous loop. You can apply it to any circuit, whether it's a simple one with a few components or a complex one with multiple branches.

4. What happens if my KVL calculations don't equal zero?

If your KVL calculations do not equal zero, it means that there is an error in your circuit or your calculations. Double check all your components and calculations to find the mistake.

5. Is KVL always accurate in predicting circuit behavior?

KVL is a fundamental principle in circuit analysis and is generally accurate in predicting circuit behavior. However, it is important to note that it assumes ideal conditions and may not account for external factors such as temperature or component tolerances.